Leak dye

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
Phil.c
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: 28' x 10' indoor, liner, oil heater, sand filter.

Leak dye

Postby Phil.c » Wed 21 Oct, 2020 02:05

I have a hot tub leak, does anyone know of a good vegetable dye to add to the water? (UK)

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Leak dye

Postby Teapot » Wed 21 Oct, 2020 07:43

Vegetable dye will just dissipate into the water. Proper leak testing dye is viscous and clings together so you can watch it flow into leaks. I would have thought you could easily see where your leak is on a hot tub. Dry the pipes around fittings and tie some kitchen paper around them soon find the wet one(s).
Phil.c
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Phil.c » Wed 21 Oct, 2020 12:37

Not quite as easy as that!
The hot tub is partially sunken in the pool enclosure, about two feet down and with tiles running up to it and up the sides, it's been leaking for a couple of years, impossible to see where the leak is, the water sinks straight into the ground and dissipates, I've tried FixaLeak three times, it stops the leak but only for a couple of days, after using the jets, the vibration etc starts it off again, it now leaks six buckets a day.
I've tried dye before and it can be seen around the pump which is also sunken, but the leak is not with the pump or any connections around it, the dye is just soaking to it from somewhere under the tub, it could be anywhere, so, before I turn it off in a weeks time for the winter, I'm going to add dye, the guys that installed the pool and hot tub twenty years ago are going to lift it out next year, the dye will be a direct pointer as it will colour the insulation, so, no guesswork where the leak is coming from, the tiles around the sides of the tub will need to be removed and hopefully it can be lifted out without the surrounding floor tiles getting broken, so, I'm just looking for a vegetable dye that will colour the amount of water in the tub!
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Wed 21 Oct, 2020 13:02

Ok, should have guessed it wasn't a straight forward instal. There are coloured dyes for pools and hot tubs. Or there is drain dye.
https://www.jakwater.co.uk/commercial-p ... a-couleur/
Phil.c
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Phil.c » Tue 10 Nov, 2020 09:01

I did get some dark blue food dye, the hot tub was turned off a few days ago and the dye put in, I'll leave it for a week or so, about thirty buckets should be leaked by then, then and it will be drained.
In the New Year the fun will begin when it's taken out of it's sunken enclosure, the leak area should then be seen on the insulation foam, hopefully it will be the case of digging out the foam to get to the leak and then the repair.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Tue 10 Nov, 2020 11:56

Good luck! Post a picture or two for interest.
Phil.c
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Phil.c » Wed 11 Nov, 2020 04:36

Hopefully it will still look like this after the fix :(

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Wed 11 Nov, 2020 05:47

Wonderful Phil, I have seen that picture before, have we met on another forum?
Phil.c
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Phil.c » Wed 11 Nov, 2020 06:08

I bought a water testing kit from you, we also had a discussion about iron staining on my liner.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Wed 11 Nov, 2020 08:34

Ah that must be it. Sorry was away for quite a while following a health scare.

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”