In ground leak during lockdown

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
cali2bali
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Square with slight slope to deep end approximately 15’ x 60’, sand filter pump, and the surface is tile over cement.

In ground leak during lockdown

Postby cali2bali » Sun 22 Nov, 2020 19:12

:shock: So, I have been dealing with a leak for at least a year now. Just before the coronavirus we had a couple companies come to our house and check where our leak was coming from. They tried the dye test but nothing was found. They then suggested it was three output valves, so they plugged those up. They then sealed those off and designed a new outbound pipe which now shoots water into the pool from the opposite side of the pool. Then they changed the sand in our filter. Our sump area (pump room) which is below ground always had water which I scoop out about 4 inches maybe once a week. I figure it’s condensation or a small leak in the pipes. They sealed some of the pipes with sealant but water still drips out of the sand filter since they changed the sand. This is when I took matters into my own hands which was right after the pandemic started and the wife didn’t want people coming to the house. There is no side entrance to get to our pool, only through the house. On the East side of our pool lies a limestone cliff which small rocks and dented fall into the pool, the north side has a giant brick wall, the west side has a 9 foot wall, and the south faces the back of our house. The pool has blue tile 6.5 x 6.5 (I think) it’s color has faded. I drained the pool twice. The first time I drained it, there was a stream of water that continued to come out for about an hour. I’m assumed that was where the leak was. I grouted most of the pool and used waterproof cement to fill a couple spots where the leak was at before it rained. The pool still leaked , so I drained it again. Before I started to finish the grout I noticed a couple of other spots where water was seeping up. It was a spot I had previously grouted so I didn’t understand why. I used excess grout everywhere not caring how the pool looked but more concerned with stopping leak. I filled every crack and every space. The house here in Bali is only 7 years old. This is my second time grouting the pool. I filled the pool maybe 3 feet, no leak. I filled it up 4 feet and it’s starting to go down again. Can it be the main pipe? Maybe the more water I put in the pool causes more pressure forcing the water to start leaking ? With just 3 feet it was fine but 4 is enough to get it leaking and then passed the 3 foot mark. Also, does tile lose its penetration overtime? Does water absorb? I’m losing my mind and we miss our pool. I’ll try to block the flow in main drain and see if water stops leaking again. I’ve tried blocking it before and it still leaked but maybe I’m doing something wrong.

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: In ground leak during lockdown

Postby Teapot » Mon 23 Nov, 2020 05:06

Very tricky to hazzard ideas sitting behind a PC. The only accurate thing you seem to have acheived thus far is 3ft of water no leak, 4ft of water leak.
I would definitely plug the main drain with a pool bung. Main drains do very little in a pool anyway so you don't really need one. Start there and repeat your test with 3-4ft of water.
I doubt you'll get the pool companies back in as they sound complete idiots as they have left you with a leaking sand filter, after wasting your money changing the sand!

Try that and report back.

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”