Bubbling from solar return jet

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
Pooldude05
I'm new here
I'm new here

Bubbling from solar return jet

Postby Pooldude05 » Fri 25 Dec, 2020 01:37

Hi
Ive have this frustrating problem with bubbling from the pool solar return jet. So far i have replaced pump lid o ring suction and discharge oring. Silastic the gromment in for the cold sensor on the suction side
The bubbling i get goes from fierce to Champagne and back again never a constant
The pump im running is a davey silensor sls150 3/4hp
The collectors are located 27mtrs away uphill approx 4.5mtrs above the pump
I have noticed the piping that runs up to the vac relief valve vibrates a bit and i can hear water bubbling in it
My thoughts are that the pump isnt strong enough to push the water uphill that far, therefore no closing off vac valve and letting air in
Any ideas?

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Bubbling from solar return jet

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 25 Dec, 2020 05:47

Has it been running OK before or is it a new problem?
I'm not an expert on frictional resistance (Teapot may have more of an idea) however a 27m run against a 4.5m head with a 3/4hp pump seems a bit excessive
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Fri 25 Dec, 2020 15:05

I think are probably right with insufficient force to close the valve but what dia is the plumbing?
Pooldude05
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Pooldude05 » Fri 25 Dec, 2020 18:46

Thanks for your replies
Just to expand a bit on my problem,
The solar collectors are rubber matting,located on a shed roof approx. 27 mtrs uphill, 1.5 mtrs to level. The height of the roof is 3mtrs
Total collector size is approx 40m2
The piping up to it is 40mm
It has a pressure limit valve on the pressure side after the pump but it is wide open
The solar return jet has always had small bubble its just now its worse. It now is a intermittant cycle- fierce bubbling then smooths out to fine then back again
Only addition ive made is add a new solar controller to the system and a new sensor to suction but ive ruled that out
Thanks guys
Pooldude05
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Pooldude05 » Sat 26 Dec, 2020 00:59

If it is the pump undersize. What size should i use?

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”