Vacuum leak?- Air in the pump when I valve from Skim to Vac.

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
dmc123
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 15K GAL 12'x26'
Wisperflow with DE and Pentair IC 40

Postby dmc123 » Tue 17 May, 2011 13:56

I recently bought the house with the pool and Im learning the system. I bought a really cool robot Jandy MX-8 and it can connect to the existing in pool vac port. The problem is that when I start to adjsut valve from skim to vac the pump get air into it. I spent almost a day tryingt o adjsut and bleed air out but I cant get any real sucktion going from the vac. I suspect a leak but there is nothing obvious. I am very frustrated and called a pool guy and he suspects the same but my piping goes under the pool deck which is covered in nice Arizona flagstone. Any suggestions to confirm the leak and possibly get some suction back to the pump. Liners, epoxy, flex tubing, those are just my thoughts to not tear anything up.
Thanks

ChuckGeo
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby ChuckGeo » Fri 20 May, 2011 17:14

The best way to determine if there is a leak in the vacuum line is to pressure test it. If it does have a leak, the only option that I'm aware of is to dig it up and repair it. Best to get your pool pro for this test & repair.
Have you tried attaching the cleaner hose to the suction port in the skimmer instead of the vacuum port? Not as convenient but should work fine, as long as the skimmer line is OK.
Let me know how it goes.
Chuck
Owner, Superior Pool Services
25 years leak detection experience
dmc123
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby dmc123 » Tue 21 Jun, 2011 19:13

Found the leak. Happy happy. The fitting was sucking a tiny amount of air inside the pool where the hose connects. I had to seal it with some great glue in the inside of the pipe. Its working great
I found it when I injected a small amount of colored substance (vinagar) at the fitting and watched it leak out
jenniferhoops
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby jenniferhoops » Thu 11 Aug, 2011 04:33

Hey ChuckGeo,

Your help is appreciated for me. Actually i have also a leak in air pump and i have searching for its solution and i found your post then i have tried the same and it really works. So i am here to say thanks to you.
We provides protection against low water flow, lead leaching, corrosion and Water Leaks.
dmc123
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby dmc123 » Thu 25 Aug, 2011 15:46

jenniferhoops wrote:Hey ChuckGeo,

Your help is appreciated for me. Actually i have also a leak in air pump and i have searching for its solution and i found your post then i have tried the same and it really works. So i am here to say thanks to you.

tried what a pressure test??????

No try the inject method first its free

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”