Sudden Leak/Skimmer draining

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
CameronsPool

Postby CameronsPool » Sun 03 Jul, 2011 18:42

I am a new in-ground pool owner and have a sudden problem - the pool is losing water, about 2 inches so far in 24 hours. One skimmer works well but I noticed a few days ago the other skimmer has no suction. I was going to wait for the holiday to be over before getting someone over here to see if it was just clogged. Now I have noticed a drop in the level, I went out to check the skimmer. The skimmer looks like it's being flushed, i.e. all the water that comes is going down through the hole like it's being flushed away. The other skimmer works just fine. I suspect - I HOPE - the leak will stop once the water drops below the skimmer line, but now I'm just worried. When I turn the pump off, the flushing stops. Now what? What could be causing this ? A leak in that particular skimmer line? I am a novice so I'm hoping someone can help me out. I don't want to turn the pump off because I just had it drained and cleaned because the previous owners didn't clean it well before it was closed. Thank you for your help - anyone!

ChuckGeo
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby ChuckGeo » Mon 04 Jul, 2011 06:50

I'm confused, first you say one skimmer has no suction, then you say one skimmer works fine and the other one is 'flushing', indicating that both skimmers are working. It is possible that they are at slightly different elevations, causing the higher one to "flush" before the other one. At any rate, you should definitely add water to the pool before the skimmers run dry to prevent additional damage.
Regarding your 2" per day leak, have you backwashed recently? Is there water running out of the backwash line? Is the leak the same whether the pump is on or off - how much loss in 24 hours with the pump on and 24 hours with the pump off. Do you see water/wet spot anywhere around the pool area?
Chuck
Owner, Superior Pool Services
25 years leak detection experience
jenniferhoops
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby jenniferhoops » Thu 21 Jul, 2011 06:23

Have you checked your all valve of swimming pool and check its drains leakage? Otherwise you have to check the complete pool to find the leakage.
We provides protection against low water flow, lead leaching, corrosion and Water Leaks.

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”