Pool Leaking - Water Level Dropping Over Night

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
PoolFun
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: We have a free form swimming pool with a large shallow end. The vinyl liner has recently been replaced and we love it. Now have a salt system as well.

Postby PoolFun » Thu 08 Sep, 2011 05:55

We have been dealing with our pool leaking for some time - around 2" per day. We did the bucket test over night with the pump off - and of course we lost lots more water in the pool than the bucket. Had a brand new liner installed last summer. We think and so does the pool company that it is leaking from our lights.

They recently came back and put in the butyl tape - but lost 2" of water anyway. We keep having our pool liner installer come out and I don't think they know what to do. Should I try to find a company that specializes in pool leaks?

ChuckGeo
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby ChuckGeo » Thu 15 Sep, 2011 06:31

You could still have a leak in the niche, the conduit (sealed w/butyl tape) is not the only possibility there. Also, even though the liner is relatively new, it could still have a leak in it. Assuming that the leak is the same whether the pump is on or off, I'd recommend contacting a leak detection company in your area for a liner and niche inspection.
Chuck
Owner, Superior Pool Services
25 years leak detection experience
allclearpools
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby allclearpools » Tue 29 Nov, 2011 17:09

Yes unfortunately there can be a pin hole leak in a vinyl liner pool. When installing the vinyl there could been some debris they overlooked and nicked it. There also could be a bad seam in the liner itself also. Any where there is a jet, main drain, light niche, etc. where the fixtures are can leak easily also. Do call a leak detection company who is familiar with vinyl pools. They make special tools to help find the smallest hole in the liner. We have one and it finds the smallest things. Good luck. Hopefully it is something simple.

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”