Leaking into alley

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
nixontop
I'm new here
I'm new here

Leaking into alley

Postby nixontop » Sun 23 Jun, 2013 21:17

I have a small in-ground pool. In the past when I forgetfully allowed the water to overfill the pool, the water would run out into the alley about 6 feet from pool perimeter.

4 weeks ago, I vacuumed pool. Ever since, water is running into alley (when pump is on) as if it were over-filling.

q1- how does the overflow system work? (there is no visible overflow drain)
q2- can there be any correlation between over flow system, my vacuuming, and the flow of water into alley? Or does this sound like a leak in return line that is pure coincidence?

Thanks.

ChuckGeo
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Leaking into alley

Postby ChuckGeo » Wed 26 Jun, 2013 15:41

An overflow system allows excess water to leave the pool and maintain a normal water level. There is usuially a square grate at the waterline, althiough I have seen then as a pipe through the sidewall of the skimmer.
You may have a leak in your return line - the line that blows water into the pool. Return line leaks are typically worse when the pump is on. Does you filter have a multiport backwash valve? Does the backwash line run towards the alley? If yes to both questions, you might have a leak through your multiport valve and going out the backwash line. After vacuuming, did you backwash? A bit of debris might have gotten stuck in the valve, preventing it from closing completely. I'd try backwashing again to see if anything will flush out of the valve.
Chuck
Owner, Superior Pool Services
25 years leak detection experience

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”