Losing water under pressure

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
Jdbug72
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 30ft x 10ft indoor tiled pool

Losing water under pressure

Postby Jdbug72 » Mon 03 Oct, 2016 17:42

Hi, I've got a tiled indoor (wooden outbuilding) pool that is only losing water during filtering. The pool doesn't lose any water when not filtering and doesn't lose any water on recirculate. I've undone the backwash pipe during filtering and it isn't leaking out that way. Recirculate runs at about 16bar and doesn't lose any water yet filtering runs at 19bar and loses 2 - 3cm during 8hrs of filtering. It's obviously a crack that opens up during the extra 3bar of pressure. All pipes are underground and there are no obvious water leaks around the building. I've tried fix a leak with no success as it has to be applied during recirculate. Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers Jason.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Losing water under pressure

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 04 Oct, 2016 03:59

Hi Jason
You have your pressures wrong
1bar is equal to 14.7psi
16 bar would be 235psi which none of your equipment could handle let alone produce
I think you mean 16 and 19psi so the difference is 3psi
When you are filtering the pressure difference is the media and resistance going through the filter not the returns or suction line
If you have a leak only on filtering it will be between the pump and filter which should be noticeable
You have checked your backwash setting which was the most obvious place to look
I'm sorry that I can't pinpoint your problem but hopefully have put you in the right direction
Jdbug72
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 30ft x 10ft indoor tiled pool

Re: Losing water under pressure

Postby Jdbug72 » Tue 04 Oct, 2016 10:58

Hi, thanks for the reply. I realised the pressure error when I re-read my post this morning.
I have run the filter with the backwash disconnected and it's completely dry. The pipework between the pump and filter is above ground and visible, I also tried fix a leak and that made no difference. It's really odd that I don't lose any water on recirculate and only lose ition filter. I'm going to get a pressure test done in case it's something glaringly obvious that I'm missing. Thanks again for you advice.

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”