Finding a tiny hole in a tile pool?

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
henningdalgaard
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 8x4 meters concrete/tiles + lots of solar heating

Finding a tiny hole in a tile pool?

Postby henningdalgaard » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 15:56

Hello experts

I live in Denmark and took over a house with a pool 10 years ago. Unlike most pools here (Liner vinyl) it is a tile pool.
It is from the 70s but has proven solid up until two month ago when it started to loose water - about 1 inch per day.

I have closed all the valves for the pipes. The water level has sunk below the pool inlet valves. I also have a bottom drain but i am worried that the hole is in the concrete itself.

At first i figured the hole must be at the level where the water stopped but I understand now that the hole can be at pinhead size below that level because of the high pressure. To verify I filled the pool and the level dropped again but not to the exact same level as before. If it had stopped at the exact same level I would assume that the hole would be at that level but now I am afraid the case is that leaking stopped because the pressure no longer is high enough.

What do you guys think? Am I making the right conclusions here?

And what is the next step?

I have discussed the problem with a friend and we are planning to drain the pool completely and "jump in" to do a close up inspection of each square inch of the pool and knock on each tile to reveal loose tiles or concrete.

I don't suppose some miracle treatment or sealent exist that I can just apply to the hole surface or concrete joints to seal the hole?

What do I do if I can't find the hole?

Any ideas are very welcome...

Picture of pool:
https://ibb.co/iju1Aa

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Finding a tiny hole in a tile pool?

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 16:44

First of all I would seal of all pipework from the pool. You can use the rubber expanding plugs
If you are still losing water then it's in the shell
An Inch a day is quiet a lot and I doubt if a pinprick would lose that much water (800 litres)
ChuckGeo
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Re: Finding a tiny hole in a tile pool?

Postby ChuckGeo » Tue 28 Mar, 2017 14:32

Alternatively, you can fill the pool, then mark the water level and leave the pump off for 24 hours - measure the loss. Refill the pool to the starting mark and run the pump continously for 24 hours, then measure the loss. If the loss measurements on & off are the same suspect a non-plumbing leak such as a crack in the structure, at one of the spots where a pipe penetrates the wall, in the skimmer throat or skimmer or in the main drain sump. If the water loss is greateer with the pump on, suspect a return (pressure) line. If the water loiss is less with the pump on suspect a suction line (skimmer of main drain).
Non plumbing leaks are diagnosed with dye testing, pressure testing is used to confirm and locate pressure leaks.
Chuck
Owner, Superior Pool Services
25 years leak detection experience

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”