Fix-A-Leak only partially working... advice?

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
danielb78
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In-ground 20,000 gal

Fix-A-Leak only partially working... advice?

Postby danielb78 » Mon 01 May, 2017 10:48

Hi, everyone! I have an in-ground pool that has a leak in the pipes leading from the pump to the pool. Leaking is only noticeable when I have my pump turned on and is about 1-2” per day. What is most notable, though, is that (only when the pump is on) two small streams of water can be seen pouring into the pool from very small cracks in the caulking.

I was given a pool repair estimate of several thousand dollars due to having to cut into the pool-deck, and they recommended I try Fix-A-Leak first before starting the repair. I’ve tried Fix-A-Leak and it appears to seal up the leak and completely stops the small streams of water only after a few hours of application... Unfortunately, after waiting 48 hours for curing time, the leak and the streams of water appeared again within a few hours of re-starting the pump. I have now tried a second application of Fix-A-Leak with 1qt followed by another 1 qt after 24 hrs. Like the first time, the leak and streams of water disappear but return again after 48 hours curing time and restarting the pump.

I know some people have had success with Fix-A-Leak (or at least enough success to only require applications of it once a year). Before I call the pool repair people, does anyone have any suggestions on how to apply Fix-A-Leak for a longer lasting seal? I've been following the Fix-A-Leak instructions regarding pool temperature above 70 deg F and heating the bottle in hot water before application. And, as I mentioned above, I've tried two bottles separated by 24 hours. Is there something else I can try?

Thanks in advance!

darrenchales
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I am planning to make a new pool

Re: Fix-A-Leak only partially working... advice?

Postby darrenchales » Tue 09 May, 2017 00:30

I don't think so Pool Leak Repair expert , you will be able to get those leaks fixed. You probably call them to fix such leaks as they are professional in dealing with such repairs, you can't fix that leaks by own.
ChuckGeo
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Re: Fix-A-Leak only partially working... advice?

Postby ChuckGeo » Thu 11 May, 2017 07:04

Fix A Leak is iffy at best and certainly not the way to repair a leak in a pressure (return) line. I'm afraid you're gonna have to bite the bullet and have the leak excavated an repaired properly. The best advice I can give you is to have the leak located by a professional and get more than one quote for the repair.
Chuck
Owner, Superior Pool Services
25 years leak detection experience

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”