Bubbles in return, water loss

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
Abateman
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Inground, sand filter, 26,500 gallons, chlorine, vinyl

Bubbles in return, water loss

Postby Abateman » Sun 14 May, 2017 14:55

Opening pool for the first time, I am a new pool owner. We have bubbles in the return lines, have water loss when the pool is running, therefore I can't keep the water level right so the skimmer isn't working. Is there a leak in the skimmer line? We also noticed that one of the return lines isn't working, so 3 out of 4 work. when we start by putting more water in and the level is right then we notice the skimmer filled up and then "flushes" kind of like a toilet, then the bubbles come out the return lines. We had no leaking before trying to open the pool, then we fill it to the right level and turn on the pump and within 30 mins the pool level went down about 1/2 an inch.

Abateman
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Inground, sand filter, 26,500 gallons, chlorine, vinyl

Re: Bubbles in return, water loss

Postby Abateman » Sun 14 May, 2017 14:57

I should also say that we added the chemical for algae and did a shock treatment last night, and another shock treatment today and after we saw the water loss we turned off the pool because we couldn't keep the water level up. Are the chemicals going to hurt our pool?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Bubbles in return, water loss

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 14 May, 2017 16:43

Are you talking about the pool skimmer or the pump basket
If you are talking about the pool skimmer then the water needs to be higher between 1/2 to 2/3 between the flap
If it's the pump basket that you are describing it's a suction side leak between the skimmer and pump
So long as the chemicals circulated then you should be OK
It definately seems that you have a leak, did you close the pool yourself or was it done professionaly

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”