water loss from hydrostatic valve

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
pool boy

Postby pool boy » Tue 18 Jul, 2006 21:21

Does anyone have any experience with testinh hydrostatic valves. We are losing water at the rate of 1-2" per day. It appears water is leaking when we run the pump as well as when we shut the pump off. I think it may be a pebble stuck in hydrostatic valve. I dove to deep end and removed main drain cover but could not pull valve open to try and reseal in case debris was stuck. Any suggestions on how to reset valve? Is this even possible under 30,000 gallons of water pressure from the pool?

Postby Guest » Wed 30 Aug, 2006 19:14

You can replace the valve.
I had it done, but not sure how to do it.
I had a diver change it - $ 225.00.

After that you need to monitor the water level to make sure you don't have any other plumbing leaks.

Hydrostatic value usually looses more water / day than 1-2 inches.

Do you have air in the pump filter basket? If so you may have suction leak. If not you may have return leak.

You can shut lines off one at a time to see if it makes a difference.
You can alo pressure test the lines - See Anderson Swimming Pool Leak website.
FARMALL

Water loss from hydrostatic valve

Postby FARMALL » Thu 18 Jun, 2009 10:16

I don't know why but my hydrostatic valve leak showed up in the pool house under the suction line into the pool house on its way to the pump. The pool house is located lower but in line with the skimmer which made me believe I had a leak in the suction line. My pool valve is 30 years old and its leaking again this Spring. Pools are so much fun!
jim talbot

Postby jim talbot » Mon 15 Aug, 2011 10:27

I plugged all the holes and still have a leak. Is the hystrostat my only obtion? Had the pool replastered a year ago.

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”