leak too close to call?

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
luigy39
I'm new here
I'm new here

leak too close to call?

Postby luigy39 » Fri 15 Sep, 2017 19:19

I've have been a pool owner for only 2 years and I have been visiting these forums for some time to learn how to take care of my pool, but this is my first time posting. I had a leak last year that was easily fixed, as I found it in one of the tiles that returns the water from the jacuzzi to the pool.

Last week I noticed that the pool was loosing more water than usual, so I ran a test and the pool is loosing about (3/8" with the pool 24 hours off) and (4/8" with the pool 24 hours on) it seems to be too close for me to know what's really going on. is this water loss difference big enough to conclude that I have a problem in the plumbing? Any advise will be appreciated.

I want to make sure that I used the right method for the test as well, when I finished the test for the 24 hour cycle with the pool in the off mode I made a line of the results and did not add water back to the original level when I started the test, I just measured from the first result's line in order to get the results of the 24 hour on test which gave me the 1/4" difference.

By the way the jacuzzi does not loose any water at all, I closed it for 48 hours and the water stayed at the same level

Should I do this test again?

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: leak too close to call?

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 17 Sep, 2017 01:45

The difference between 3/8" and 4/8" is 1/8"
What is your location is it hot as you can lose 1/4" daily
The best way to test is with a bucket test and check the difference between the two
luigy39
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby luigy39 » Sun 17 Sep, 2017 12:48

Denniswiseman wrote:The difference between 3/8" and 4/8" is 1/8"
What is your location is it hot as you can lose 1/4" daily
The best way to test is with a bucket test and check the difference between the two

Thanks for your response, I live in South Florida, I usually loose about a quater inch or a little more a week when the pool is running propperly. I already did the bucket test and it looses about a quater of an inch a week compared to the pool which is now loosing about 2.6 inches a week.

I have continued the test and the water loss seems to be about the same with the pool on or off, about 3/8 of an inch every 24 hours. I have tested the lights fixtures and everything in between and I have not been able to locate a the leak.

My next step would be to let the pool keep loosing water until it stops at a certain point and then check for leaks, but then I am afraid of the diamond brite finish.

Questions, What should I do next? How long can the Diamond bright finish be exposed to the Florida sun if at all, and is there a way to protect it?

Thank you in advance.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 17 Sep, 2017 16:34

I can't comment on the Diamond bright finish as I have a fibreglass pool
It seems that you are well on the way with your testing but if the leak is in your lines it won't go no lower than your skimmer or returns unless it's in the main drain
It may be an idea to plug your skimmer and returns in the pool and see if it still goes down

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”