Is this really a leak?

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
Zerenia

Re: Is this really a leak?

Postby Zerenia » Thu 22 Feb, 2018 21:00

Teapot - thanks. No ants or other noticeable critters around the coping. I have one skimmer, and the basket was torn up when we moved in, so I replaced the basket. I can try the towel in the skimmer, but it is reasonable to think that sand is floating into the skimmer and making it past the cartridge filter and back into the pool?

Meanwhile, the dead lizard is "gross" so I am going to attempt to empty the pre-filter basket this weekend if I can find instructions for the pump. I have had a well in the past and had to prime the pump after working on it, so I want to be sure about restarting the pool pump after cleaning the basket.

- Z

Teapot
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Fri 23 Feb, 2018 02:56

Hi Zerenia, Without any evidence of a leak, the sand is a bit of a mystery, it's heavier than water naturally so won't without vacuuming get into the skimmer. I wouldn't rule out dodgy practices even if this company isn't directly related to the leak detection companies. I am in the industry and backhanders take place like they do in many others.

More positively, once removed hopefully that will be the end of the sand issue but be sure to look carefully before the pool company return for their work.

You should turn off the pump, close the valves before the pump, close the valves returning water to the pool and then remove the pre filter lid. Take photos on your cell phone to make sure of valve positions etc. Good luck and please let us know the outcome. Maybe with a bit more coaching you won't need the pool company at all.
Zerenia
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Zerenia » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 10:39

Teapot - it's been a few weeks and it looks like the sand is virtually gone, so I'm really not sure what was going on.

New question, if you don't mind - pool company says that the filter is no longer fit for use. They suggest replacing with a Pentair CC100 filter. How do I know if the filter is really not "fit for use" any longer? Filter is a STA-RITE Posi-Flo II, model PTM70.

- Z
Teapot
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 15:49

Hi Zerenia,
Why do I get a bad feeling every time your pool company says something?
You know I didn't believe the sand problem, I believed you but not the leak and sand.
STA-RITE filter spares are widely available but in essence the filter is just a tank with a filter element inside, some larger ones have a manifold to connect multiple cartridges. There are replaceable O ring seals etc. Unless they can show you a crack or something tangible, I am afraid I would sack them, if they worked for me I would sack them. You must have other pool companies you can go to? Or stick around here and we will show you how to look after your own pool.
Zerenia
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Zerenia » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 16:12

Teapot - Wow - thanks. I think what I'm going to do is tell the company that before I spend $550 on the filter (includes install labor), I'm going to get some other quotes and see how the company responds. Will let you know how this ends.

I appreciate the offer of teaching how to care for the pool and I may end up taking you all up on the offer!

-Z
Teapot
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Teapot » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 16:36

No problem Zerenia, I am a pool Pro here in the UK and also some work in France, I take pride in what I do and really do not like those who try to rip people off.

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”