3" crack on btm of Hayward MICROCLEAR DE 6000 Filter ca

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
blondie

Postby blondie » Tue 25 Jul, 2006 08:44

There is an approx. 3" crack on the bottom of the filter tank. It runs from the center of the tank (starts from the extrusion left from the tank mold) and runs out about 3". I tried an epoxy (putty-like) sealer and it did not work (but I did not adequately rough-up the surface). So I have applied the epoxy again, inside the tank, after really cleaning and roughing up the area. The epoxy is supposed to work in water service and on fiberglass and PVC. If this does not work... What is this tank made of (I've emailed Hayward, but they have yet to reply). What will work to repair this crack? I really would like to fix it in leu of replacement at $100's of dollars. Any help is appreciated.

blondie

hdb

crack

Postby hdb » Wed 09 Aug, 2006 01:32

I have the same problem. Tried epoxy from within, it worked for a while then started leaking again. I don't think it can be easily repaired as there are tremendous shearing forces applied at this point by the water. See if yours is under warranty, a couple of sites that sell new ones talk about a 10 year warranty. Good luck.
tweswimmingpool

Postby tweswimmingpool » Sun 21 Jun, 2009 08:22

Hayward tanks have a weakness promoting cracks at the bottom center of the filter tank. Fiber glass repair is possible but requires laminated fiberglass mat to handle the pressure. Hayward is good with their ten year warranty. The original DE-6000 is obsolete and Hayward replaced my entire filter assembly with the new model under the ten year warranty. This speaks well for the Hayward company.
DoubleOakTX

Postby DoubleOakTX » Thu 30 Jul, 2009 20:59

Blondie, I've got the same thing. Tried a fiberglass patch. FIgured out real fast this thing wasn't made out of fiberglass. Separated within days. Then tried spray adhesive and a vinyl patch. Worked a WHOLE lot better, and probably would have been "forever-durable" if the patch had not pulled up. The adhesive did not degrade, but the patch pulled itself up, since it was installed under tension to go in the little hollow where the drain goes. Took apart a 3rd, then fourth time. This last time used "Gorilla Tape", which seems to be working mahvelously. Just to make sure it was nice and sticky-gooey, I took a torch to the inside of the crack and got it nice and hot. That tape ain't comin' up. Now it seems the tank is slowly leaking around the brand new seal. Thinkin' the flanges have deformed. Gonna have to buy a new tank anyway.
rfr in flower mound

Postby rfr in flower mound » Wed 12 Aug, 2009 23:34

Thanks, Double Oak. I have a Hayward DE 6000. about 13 years old. I have a lateral crack 2 inches from the top of the lower tank that extends almost halfway around the tank. I have tried 2 part liquid epoxy using 2 inch wide fiberglass cloth over the crack. I let it cure overnight. It only held 10 seconds. The epoxy was a strong hold before closing the tank. The epoxy didnt hold onto the tank. water got under the epoxy and out the crack. Is there any hope for a crack this long? Can you provide name of. Is this laterla crack just below lip because I tightened belt too tight?
rfr in flower mound

Postby rfr in flower mound » Wed 12 Aug, 2009 23:42

BTW, I also tried RTV gray (liquid gasket for cars). It did not hold up to water pressure. However, I did not know to sand and clean with acetone (fingernail polish) first.
papa

Postby papa » Fri 25 Sep, 2009 12:14

My Hayward Micro-clear DE 4800 will not pressurize anymore. I tried removing and tightening the clamp, but it still won't work. I checked for cracks, but didn't find any. The metal part on the bottom came off, but it slid right back into place. Is this part removable, or is it suppose to be attach to the bottom of the top half of the filter :?
drelicensedtc

Postby drelicensedtc » Wed 01 Sep, 2010 23:10

tweswimmingpool wrote:Hayward tanks have a weakness promoting cracks at the bottom center of the filter tank. Fiber glass repair is possible but requires laminated fiberglass mat to handle the pressure. Hayward is good with their ten year warranty. The original DE-6000 is obsolete and Hayward replaced my entire filter assembly with the new model under the ten year warranty. This speaks well for the Hayward company.

I had a crack on the bottom of my hayward filter tank but warranty was invalid (previous owner put pool in). My home warranty company would not fix it because they said the filters were dirty and must have run at high pressure at one time (Not!). The tanks are no longer sold, so I had it replaced with a used tank (same as the old). Used tank is now leaking as well, after only a couple of months. What is with these faulty tanks. Do I have any options other than replacing the whole filter system?
Allen G Myerson

Postby Allen G Myerson » Thu 02 Sep, 2010 20:34

Not really. Since the tank is under pressure, the crack should not be repaired. The filter should be replaced.
Tony G

Postby Tony G » Sun 22 May, 2011 09:47

As a Chemical Engineer, I can state that you will NOT be able to repair this crack. My DE 6000 also cracked at the bottom - the filter was 8.5 years old and Hayward sent a BRAND NEW Bottom piece - since this unit has a 10 year warranty.

Hayward is a top notch company - they could have pro-rated the piece, but they did not, they replaced it for free.You have 2 choices - get a new bottom or find someone with the same filter who is replacing his unit (changing from DE to sand). You always take the risk that the used one will also crack.

The Hayward replacement part is now reinforced at the bottom - the original design was flawed and could not handle the weight (water plus DE plus grid) and pressure.
sunny h

Postby sunny h » Thu 21 Jul, 2011 23:42

Well, my Hayward pro series sand filter gave out this past month. Finally the third guy realized that the collar at the top of the base unit (the area that is hidden under the valve assembly at the top) has pulled away from the rest of the mold. Strange, I know. All the service men I've had out to look at it have never seen anything like it. The whole bottom tank is one solid piece, yet it has separated itself in this place. Service tech thought it was a defective filter. The filter is located in a completely shaded area all day long, no direct sunlight at all. I tried contacting Hayward and learned that the old 10 year warranty is only good for those who purchased a filter prior to December 31, 2003. So, of course mine was purchased after that date and is now covered by a 1, yes only 1 year warranty. It makes me wonder, why did Hayward switch from a 10 year to a 1 year warranty for all products. It appears that there may be a significant change in manufacturing specifications used. Unfortunately, that has left a very sour taste in our mouths. Good for those of you who have had better service and were able to replace your filter under the 10 year warranty period. For those of us who aren't so fortunate, beware that when you purchased your filter makes all the difference. My headphones have a longer warranty period than a pool sand filter! Go figure. The good news is that there are other companies with longer warranty periods with comparable products and pricing to Hayward products.

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”