Leaking under ground Line

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
tenaj

Postby tenaj » Sat 09 Jun, 2007 16:29

Is it possible to reline the main line rather than having to dig it up? i believe I have isolated the leak to the return line between pools bottom drain and the pump basket

TheZeds

Postby TheZeds » Mon 29 Jun, 2009 10:49

I am also looking for a better way of sealing a leak in a pool return line, without major digging, and came across a relatively new system.

"Pipes Down Under" (http://pipesdownunder.com/) looks promising for you and perhaps for me if it can work with a line that branches to two outlets from a single valve. I am not having any luck locating a local Candadian distributor or installer however. Perhaps you will have more luck where you are.

I am also looking at "Fix a Leak" (http://www.fixaleak.com/) , but not sure it offers a temporary solution I am looking for, or if it will work at all.

Good Luck !
ChuckGeo
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby ChuckGeo » Mon 29 Jun, 2009 17:14

If the line runs from the main drain to a port in the bottom of the skimmer, and you can access both ends, you might want to consider plugging both ends of the line and taking it out of service, you can easily live without it.
I'm not aware of any way to put a sleeve inside the line. Fix A Leak is real iffy, in my opinion, especially in plumbing.
Chuck
Owner, Superior Pool Services
25 years leak detection experience
zago1597
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby zago1597 » Thu 09 Jul, 2009 09:16

Chuck,
Your comment was Fix a Leak is real iffy ? Does that mean it you have not had good success with it working ? or is it moreso for specific types of leaks only.

I seem to have a leak in a pool return line, where the "flexible white spa pipe" has come in contact with a stone perhaps and pierced the pipe. I am losing just under an inch a day. The problem is that it appears that the pierced pipe is under a cabana and the slap will have to be cut out in urder to tunnel under and find the leak. Was hoping "Fix a Leak" might prevent some messy and costly cutting and tunneling.

I think i may try it just to see if it will work before undergoing the full blown repairs, but was curious as to what you meant by "iffy".

Thanks
ChuckGeo
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby ChuckGeo » Thu 09 Jul, 2009 12:45

I've not had many success with Fix A Leak. Your best bet is to have the leak located by a professional, dig it out and repair it. Sorry, but there's no easy solution.
Chuck

Owner, Superior Pool Services

25 years leak detection experience

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”