Pool leaking after repair

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
alinhk
I'm new here
I'm new here

Pool leaking after repair

Postby alinhk » Sat 16 Feb, 2019 07:25

Hi all,
Apologies in advance for the long post, but was wondering if anyone has any advice they can give me.

Have made a repair to the concrete shell of an in ground pool which had a crack in one of the side walls.
The crack went all the way from the top of the side wall to the pool base at the deep end which is about 2 meters deep.
Repaired the crack using XYPEX Patch N Plug, XYPEX Concentrate and XYPEX modified as per the repair method of the XYPEX agent.
The tiles of the pool were also to be changed so the entire pool shell and base were also prepared and XYPEX Concentrate and Modified were applied. Once cured, the pool walls and base were leveled and skimmed with XYPEX MEGA MIX ii repair mortar to the desired level ready for re-tiling.

Once everything had cured we pond tested the pool and the water level drops.
Over a 15 day period and starting with the pool filled to the rim its losing approx 1.8in (46mm) a day decreasing to 0.39in (10cm) when the water level reaches the penetrations for the lights. This level is about 18in (465mm) from the top of the pool.
If we let the water level drop below the light penetrations water loss averages 0.28in (7mm) a day, sometimes more or less but not in any pattern. I’m guessing this is due to evaporation and temperatures?
The filtration system is switched off and the plumbing sealed off and pressure tested so shouldn’t be an area we can lose water from.

In my mind and looking at the pond test results everything points to a leak at one of the light penetrations.
Another company is responsible for the lights, which are not new units they are the original lights from when the pool was built years ago.
They are saying that have sealed the lights and from what I can see they have applied what looks like silicone sealer where the wire passes through the back of the light housing.
The housings are about 5.5in (140mm) deep.
I would like to seal the light housing myself as I have no confidence in the contractor.
Can anyone suggest a product I could use to seal the housings? Or any other way to test for leaks.
Could High Density Closed Cell foam work?

The architect is suggesting an Infrared leak detection test. Wouldn’t something like a LeakTronics LT1000 be better to test?

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Pool leaking after repair

Postby Teapot » Sat 16 Feb, 2019 12:02

It's always the light!! always.
Silicon lets go after a while, long enough for the pool company to claim it wasn't them. Once silicon has been used nothing else will take so scrap and get new. Some of the latest designs are Gland less (cable gland sealing) or inductance lights (no physical connection) therefore no leak.
alinhk
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby alinhk » Sat 16 Feb, 2019 22:04

Thanks Teapot,
Yeah we're pretty sure that one if not a few of the lights are the problem. There are 9 of them!
Just need to prove that they are the issue as they're not our responsibility.
Any ideas on how to seal them to confirm the issue?

Cheers
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Sun 17 Feb, 2019 04:28

I believe it is Anderson leak detection that makes plastic domes to encapsulate the whole light. Fitting them for a test would be my way of checking.
https://www.leaktools.com/light-covers.html
alinhk
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby alinhk » Sun 17 Feb, 2019 08:10

Great thanks again Teapot. Will give it a try.

Cheers

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”