Busted pipe at new pool start up

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
jenepher1202
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 925 sq ft lagoon shape. Vinyl. Inground. Galvanize steel walls. Sunshelf.

Busted pipe at new pool start up

Postby jenepher1202 » Thu 30 May, 2019 06:55

So I’m just looking for some clarification or insight if there are other things I should be worried about now or even down the road.

We are getting a vinyl pool installed. Around 925sq ft salt water lagoon shape with sun shelf. Last week(Friday) they came to start pump. Then muddy water started shooting through all jets and coming from behind the liner(at top) all around deep end. They said they performed a pressure test before back filling around pool. So they tell us there is a busted pipe under concrete says they will be back out on Tuesday to assess the issue. They didn’t come yesterday but supposedly came today(Wednesday) but still havent got any kind of update. Communication with project manager has not been very good so just don’t feel confident in what he tells us. At this point all he has said we might not have to dig up concrete- my questions is
1. If they try to dig down to pipes without taking concrete up, won’t that weaken the structure of the concrete for further down the road?
2. Does this type of leak put my liner or structure of pool at risk? (Galvanized steal walls).
3. As water continues to evaporate over time, the sun shelf now has no water, is this harming the pool? Nobody has said anything?

What things should I be looking for or be making sure they do/don’t do?

We went with a very reputable company(not cheap) for this pool build but I feel like it’s been cheap service. Down to their trash being scattered all over our yard, and now even just floating in our pool. I’m just want to be educated on what this means and means in future. I’m worried that if they “bandaid” fix it but then down the road something goes wrong we will be out of warranty period. As of right now there hasn’t been any talk of what excatly the plan is or when they plan to fix this. We haven’t seen project manager in over 3weeks. Is this normal?
Because of the lack of communication, we are going to store front to talk to owner today, but before we do I want to be educated on what all our options are, what’s best, and what damaged may have been done.

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Busted pipe at new pool start up

Postby Teapot » Thu 30 May, 2019 08:54

How annoying but sometimes these things do happen. Shouldn't be an issue with structure or liner so long as it doesn't carry on too long. If the pool isn't covered, ask for it to be so until the leak is resolved.
Cutting an access hole through the terrace to the pipe is normal and back filling with pea shingle before re filling with concrete should be fine.
Make sure you draft up an agreed schedule with penalties for late/no shows. I would ask for details of their insurance company as well, lets them know you are serious.
jenepher1202
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 925 sq ft lagoon shape. Vinyl. Inground. Galvanize steel walls. Sunshelf.

Re: Busted pipe at new pool start up

Postby jenepher1202 » Thu 30 May, 2019 13:13

Thank you!

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”