Leak around main drain- liner pulling away

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
Mcamp45
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In ground. Vinyl liner. 20x40 rectangle. Sand filter.

Leak around main drain- liner pulling away

Postby Mcamp45 » Mon 24 Jun, 2019 09:03

Hi, at the beginning of March when getting pool cleaned up we noticed a sinkhole next to the main drain. We had record breaking rains this past year and our pool guy said he’s seen several issues with ground water. We knew we would have to replace the liner at the end of the year because it appears the liner floated and it’s full of wrinkles all over, along with several other areas on the bottom where the ground has shifted. Anyway, it has been functional and we were hoping to hold off on liner because of medical bills this year. Last week the pool started losing 10 inches a day. It appears where the sinkhole is located up next to the drain, it’s changed in size and now the liner looks to be pulling away from the drain.

My question, since we have to replace the liner anyway, can we drain the pool and leave it empty for a few weeks until we can get the cash for a new installation? The ground will have to be fixed as well. Looking at 4500-5000 it seems.

Should we rent a pump to empty the water so it doesn’t continue to leak around the drain and cause a major sinkhole? Right now it’s about 20 inches across and 8 inches deep. In March it was about 12 inches across and 6 inches deep.

In dire straits due to medical issues and would appreciate any insight. I will try to attach pics if possible.
Attachments
29D31057-1B71-4C9D-B74F-C22C3A9D108F.jpeg

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Leak around main drain- liner pulling away

Postby Teapot » Mon 24 Jun, 2019 10:11

Wow, so there is no concrete slab under the pool?
How old is the liner, a few wrinkles is not justification for fitting a new liner. I have attended many pools where the liner has floated and wrinkled. We just empty and adjust the liner removing as much wrinkling as possible then refill
Mcamp45
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In ground. Vinyl liner. 20x40 rectangle. Sand filter.

Postby Mcamp45 » Mon 24 Jun, 2019 11:37

No concrete under ours. They don’t normally do that in our area. The pool is 15 years old. Never had issues until the water table rose so high this winter. The issue is that the sinkhole is getting larger and it won’t do any good to reset the liner. I’ve spent $300 on 3 different opinions. All say there is no way to keep it from happening again because the hole will cause tension and it will pull away from drain again. Or rip completely. The sinkhole abuts up to the drain. A large cannon ball could fit into it. I guess I’m just screwed.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Mon 24 Jun, 2019 16:13

I don't know your area but a raft of reinforced concrete would have at least prevented the sink hole issue. You say it's not normal round your way, that's one thing I would change immediately, why do the local guys just say it's something that happens? Well doing nothing won't change anything, some days I hate the pool industry and I work in it!

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”