Mysterious leak

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
Jh1971
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In ground free form about 45,000 gallons sand filter

Mysterious leak

Postby Jh1971 » Tue 16 Feb, 2021 18:15

My in ground pool has a leak somewhere that causes the water level to drop about two feet in a couple days, yet it happens randomly, however more frequent lately.
So it seems to drop while it’s not running, or it goes down slower while running. There are no leaks in the equipment, nor are there any saturated area where pipes run. The water stops dropping at the same level which is well above the light, but well below any intake/outtake. There are no visible cracks or holes along the dropped waterline. It is so peculiar. The only thing I can think of would be the thing at the bottom that looks like a drain, but if that were the case, I’d imagine it would be totally empty.
Has anyone encountered something like this, or have an idea?
Thanks for any input.

dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Re: Mysterious leak

Postby dynamictiger » Sun 07 Mar, 2021 04:39

The description is consistent with a pipe leak around a joint. It is likely underground.

What i have seen previously is a joint holds under certain conditions and leaks under others. The description suggests it is on the suction line however that could just be due to reported observation.

Looking in the pump clear lid on the basket just as the pump starts can a puff of dirt be observed?

Backwash the filter including a normal rinse then put back to filter. Turn the pump back on watching the return jet is a puff of dirt observed returning to the pool?
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Mysterious leak

Postby Teapot » Sun 07 Mar, 2021 05:07

Have you looked at the waste pipe outlet? When the multiport valve gasket wears its quite common for water to leak out to waste. Worth putting a bung in the waste line when not in use to observe the result. Often the water level is consistant with the multiport valve height but not always as a siphon can form. Blocking the waste pipe will be a low cost first step.

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”