Light Niche cracked - any experience with this?

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
chad.sfds
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 10k gallon freeform

Light Niche cracked - any experience with this?

Postby chad.sfds » Wed 15 Sep, 2021 10:23

Hello,

I have an in ground gunite pool in Florida. Its about 12 years old. My water has been dropping a little faster than normal and it really accelerated the last week. I have scuba gear and found a sizeable crack in the back of the light niche where the wire exits the niche. It is on the bottom of the molded part where the wire exits and its about 3 inches long.

I am considering the options of:

1) trying a 2 part underwater epoxy myself
2) drain down below the light and have a pool company use a better epoxy fix. The company said it **should** last atleast a year and could last as much as 5 years, but I am worried about settling continuing to propagate the crack
3) rip out the niche and replace which I was told is about $1,500
4) pursue any way to cover the light hole (cover with a big O-ring) and abonden the light until I get the pool resurfaced (5 years?)

Ideally, I would not like to do a permanent fix and wait until the pool needs to be re-surfaced and do permanent fix at that time. I also dont want to pay a few hundred dollars every year or more frequent to re-epoxy that will add up to more than the cost of the 1,500 to replace now.

Thanks for any info, particularly from anyone that has been thru this with a concrete pool.

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Light Niche cracked - any experience with this?

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 16 Sep, 2021 01:21

There are modified polymer sealers that work underwater, Sika EBT and similar. Not sure what you will have available but they work until you are doing a refit.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
rickw
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16x32 vinyl lined

Re: Light Niche cracked - any experience with this?

Postby rickw » Tue 21 Sep, 2021 05:13

Go on Amazon and get the "Underwater Magic" . A little costly but works great underwater!

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”