Small Gunite pool leaks down 1 inch every 24hrs

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
yukon42
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: small 7000 gallon gunite inground pool

Small Gunite pool leaks down 1 inch every 24hrs

Postby yukon42 » Wed 05 Jan, 2022 18:58

I have isolated the the hot tub from the pool via valving. I have run the pump drawing water just from the hot tub and then returning it. Hot tub maintains level fill, so piping to and from the hot tub does not leak. I have turned the pump off and the pool looses about 1 inch of water every 24 hrs. I have turned the pump on and drawn water from the skimmer and drains, returning water to the pool. Leaks about the same (1 inch every 24 hrs - pump runs 6 hours). I have then turned the pump on and drawn water from the vacuum only (creeepy crawly or whatever you want to call them) and returned water to the pool. Again looses about 1 inch every 24 hrs.

After analyzing the above, I am thinking the light niche is most likely the culprit. I have had problems with the light periodically and it hasn't worked for a year or so now. I should also note that close inspection has spotted no cracks or unusual spots on the pool plaster.

Any opinions out there????

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Small Gunite pool leaks down 1 inch every 24hrs

Postby Teapot1 » Fri 07 Jan, 2022 09:49

Yes I would agree and a light niche is the 1st place I would look.
Leaking gland is the usual, there are some light that have done away with the hland for this reason
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”