Found the Leaks in Liner, but What Caused the Damage?

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
sakleiner
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16 x 32 in ground, vinyl lined

Found the Leaks in Liner, but What Caused the Damage?

Postby sakleiner » Tue 21 Jun, 2022 07:50

Hi there,

Our in ground vinyl liner pool drained about half over winter apparently due to leaks in the liner.

The pool company guys came out in March and patched a leak they found. In late May I refilled the pool and started the opening process. Eventually I observed the pool was still leaking water at about 1.5 inches per day.

I tried repeatedly to find the source of the leak. Tested the lines, all good there. Checked and rechecked the liner but no luck. So I called our pool company.

They sent a crew out and using diving equipment located 4 small slice type cuts about the length of a half inch or so. They patched then holes.

What’s puzzling is what caused the cuts. All the cuts/holes they found are at the exact same level in the pool, which is a few inches above where the pool bottom and the pool wall meet.

The pool guys and I went over all my equipment that I use to maintain the pool and there is nothing on any of them that would cause damage.

Any ideas what may have caused the damages?

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Found the Leaks in Liner, but What Caused the Damage?

Postby Teapot1 » Wed 22 Jun, 2022 01:40

Often caused by pool equipment, brushes, skim nets etc I know the guys checked yours but check it again. One of my customers sliced his liner and put an 18" cut in it and thats a tricky repair!
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
sakleiner
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16 x 32 in ground, vinyl lined

Re: Found the Leaks in Liner, but What Caused the Damage?

Postby sakleiner » Wed 22 Jun, 2022 10:14

I’ll keep that in mind. The pool guys said toenail can do that but this is the first such occurrence in about 20 years for this pool

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”