Pin hole underground flex pipe issue

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
Spereira
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 25 x 40 vinyl inground. 10 ft round inground spa

Pin hole underground flex pipe issue

Postby Spereira » Mon 22 Aug, 2022 10:33

Hi all.

I have a pinhole puncture in a 1 1/2 inch flexible PVC line which is problematic to fix. It was underground.. and after digging it up, it is situated under 2 different conduits (electrical), and near another 1 inch flex pipe. My thought was to cut the pipe.. using a sawsall and try to insert a coupling. I am concerned, though, that using the sawsall might damage the pipe (ie, cracks), or, the conduit above it.. (they are touching, and would need a second body to lift using a lever carefully while cut is made). My question is to poll this group regarding an alternate way to repair this. A friend of mine said better to use a rubber piece and clamps on the spot, and to left and right. My thought was to use a piece of old 1 1/2 inch flex PVC, cut it, and wrap it around the fault.. and then use primer and glue.. and then clamp it as well. (ie, outside fix vs inside coupling using clamps). My friend said that he doubted that that would word because the flex pipe is irregular, and the hole may not get sealed. Any opinions here from you wonderful experts?
Options:
1. Use a 3 inch section of old flex PVC. Cut it, wrap it. Remove, primer and glue and clamps x 3.
2. Use same as above, but, over hole, place small piece of thin rubber.. same as above otherwise.
3. Forget the above, it wont work, cut it and take your chances of cracks, conduit damage and use the coupling with primer and glue.
4. Another option?

Thanks so much for your help.

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Pin hole underground flex pipe issue

Postby Teapot1 » Mon 22 Aug, 2022 12:26

Dig enough to get some wriggle room, put sheet metal between pipes/conduits to protect but I would use Fernco flexible fittings to hold the pipe repair.
That said I am not there to assess the job first hand.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Spereira
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Spereira » Mon 22 Aug, 2022 12:34

Thank you for sheet metal idea.. but, Fernco clamps.. isn't that implying no cutting.. but a wrap repair? Is the rubber on a Fernco split? Ie.. you can wrap it around a pipe that isnt cut? What about glue.. any glue used with a Fernco? Thanks so much for your help.
Spereira
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Spereira » Mon 22 Aug, 2022 16:56

Hi. Can the Fernco rubber be cut.. so that it can be wrapped around the hole without cutting the pipe? Do you recommend rubber cement or PVC cement for the rubber onto the existing PVC flex pipe?
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Wed 24 Aug, 2022 11:18

No the pipe will have to be cut. There are wrap around repairs but they are only for rigid pipe
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Spereira
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Spereira » Wed 24 Aug, 2022 12:14

Thanks. I think I've come to that conclusion. I have a small outside (female) fit coupling that may be small enough to work. I did find one other option.. a 1 1/2 inch compression fix which looks promissing... but.. it is too large to fit in there it looks like. Thanks to all on this forum for taking the time to respond. I do appreciate your help and time very much

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”