leak in in-ground plumbing

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
RhinebeckDad
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18 x 36 inground salt water with liner, hayward pump....

leak in in-ground plumbing

Postby RhinebeckDad » Mon 29 May, 2023 20:04

I have an on-going leak in my in-ground pool w/liner. More than several years. Just opened it up and had zero water loss over the winter and have confirmed over the last few years that a) it only leaks when the pump is running and b) will continue to leak with water below the pool returns. I have isolated the 2 side drains and only pull from the main drain and it still loses water. I can't isolate the main drain but I expect with the amount of pressure 8 feet down that it would continue to leak without the pump running. I will lose about 1/2 inch each day so need to be continuously adding water and this creates more demand for chemicals to balance chemistry.

My local pool company told me this kind of leak is almost always at the stairs so I pulled up the bluestone on both sides of the steps and dug down to where the jets come back into the pool and it was bone dry. I neglected to go 6 feet further to get to where the piping would have turned to go around the each corner and back to the pump - I will do this in the next week. Short of finding it there, its about 50 yards from the end of my pool back to the pump and I presume the 36 feet of pipe hugs the pool and would also be under all of my bluestone capping (Argh). I guess I could also pull the bluestone above the first return jet nearest to the pump. I have a 6 foot concrete apron wrapping outside the bluestone capping around the pool but obviously dont' want to be diggin up concrete unless I'm sure that is where its leaking.

No obvious symptoms of water at the pump area, or around the pool...the pool is about 10 years old and shows just normal settling of the concrete apron on both sides. Any insights or guidance would be appreciated?

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: leak in in-ground plumbing

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 30 May, 2023 01:32

Before lifting the pool surround get the lines pressure tested a proper pool leak detection company will have all the necessary kit. Have you a light in the pool? Lights are notorious leak points around the cable gland. You can live without a main drain they do practically nothing as dirt enters from the surface that is the best place to collect it from. You have to push dirt into a main drain for any effect at all and running the main drain means less skimming action see my first comment dirt enters ......
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
RhinebeckDad
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby RhinebeckDad » Tue 30 May, 2023 17:08

yes, pool light but extensive dye testing confirms that its not a leak source. Yep, I dont' think the main drain is a source of leak either. My pool guy doesn't put much credence in pressure testing lines as it might be difficult to isolate the actual pipes underground (single pipe exits pump back to pool but where does it split into the 4 separate jets?).

I actually had a guy who specializes in leaks come out serveral years ago when I first was seeing this leak and he dropped his listening gear and found a pin hole in my liner...I told him there is no way that accoutns for the amount of water loss and he just shrugged "). There is another outfit that says they can identify where underground a leak is heard, so I plan to call them and assess their approach. So, pulling a couple of bluestone and digging down 2 feet isn't extraordinary,,but if coming out of the pool its a fixed pipe, I don't know if the flex pipe will connnect to the fixed pipe somewhere under the concrete apron - that is something I'd need a pro to identify.
RhinebeckDad
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby RhinebeckDad » Thu 08 Jun, 2023 16:25

Having some difficulty tracking down a local outfit that has capabilities like LeakTronics to sniff out the leak underground. When I pulled up my bluestone cap I discovered that since this section is backed against the line, and its vertical aluminum framing (unlike when I expose the cap around my steps where there isnt a line), that I need to contend with breaking thru 4" of concrete in order to get under the pool framing to see if its leaking.

Re trying to shut off individual return-jets, or even pressure testing the individual lines, seems difficult as the actual return pipes go underground as a single pipe at the pump before splitting off into the 4 separate jets?. I don't know where under my lawn these might split off but that would be a simpler task to dig up dirt vs concrete. I assume if I just capped off an individual jet that a pressure-leak continues even though water isn't flowing out from the jet?

Appreciate any insights?
RhinebeckDad
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby RhinebeckDad » Mon 03 Jul, 2023 12:34

Just an update on my pool leak. I declined to pay $1300 for someone to come out and locate my leak. Instead, I dug down to expose 2 of my jets and associated piping. Had to spend $100 on a concrete saw as I had a 3" slab that supports my bluestone cap. I found the leak which seems to be coming between where the pipe connects into the jet housing on the pool wall :( which means I really cannot fix this until Fall when I will let the water line fall below this jet. I did find that a rubber clog blaster plumber's device which when connected to a hose will expand while shooting a stream of water - the expansion actually stops the leak but only as long as I run the hose thru it. So, I bought another similar device which you inflate with a bike pump,,,its works without having to run water thru it but it seems a bit less sturdy. So neither temp solution will last for two months, so I plan to cut and cap the pipe, and put a plug into the jet.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Mon 03 Jul, 2023 14:23

Well done for persistence and glad you found it.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
RhinebeckDad
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby RhinebeckDad » Thu 06 Jul, 2023 15:38

Before I cut into the pipe, i will try and tighten down the flange that sits on the pipe and creates attachment to the pool siding - I doubt this changes anything. And, I got some marine-sealant that I will try and apply to inside of pipe and see if it seals the crack in the pipe...if I can back off the flange I might also get a view into the pipe leak from outside and seal it there too - all to avoid cutting and sealing off my pipe and this jet until I get to closing the pool and dropping water level in the Fall.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Fri 07 Jul, 2023 00:18

Would this help you out? I have used these on occasions when we couldnt drain down.
https://frankwall.com/diy-pool-repair-f ... ool-leaks/

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”