Safety valve shooting out water when pump is running

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
bslater

Safety valve shooting out water when pump is running

Postby bslater » Sat 04 Aug, 2007 21:25

My parents just left town this morning, I was going to use the hot tub, I turned it on to let it heat up, the next thing I know, it's half empty. I walked around to look at the equipment and a black valve type piece that comes out of the pipe below the chlorine tablet holder was shooting out water. I turned the pump off but the water is still pouring out and I suppose will continue to until the hot tub is empty. The piece looks fine on the outside, not broken so I'm not sure what it does exactly. What should I do?

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Mon 06 Aug, 2007 14:26

You call it a "safety valve". Are you sure thats what it is? If so...then perhaps it's doing it's job and something is over pressurized and/or overheating.

Without a picture or something it's just a guess but I would say that your "black valve type piece" is now broken and you need a new "black valve type piece". Can you remove it and take it with you to a spa store?
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”