in-ground pool plumbing leaks

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
dryheat

Postby dryheat » Tue 18 Apr, 2006 11:56

I have an inground pool in Arizona with the built-in cleaning system (pop-ups) that is 9 years old. Last year, the pool developed a major leak. The problem was a cracked 90 degree elbow joint under one of the pop-outs. It cost us over $2000 to fix as the pool co only guaranteed this part of the pool for 5 years. We then had the pool remodeled (new plaster) last summer. The pool now has a new leak (loses ~8" per day!). I am expecting we will find another plumbing problem with the cleaning system.
My questions are as follows:
Is it typical of these cleaning systems to develop this kind of problem?

At what point should I consider having ALL of the fittings replaced?

Any help, info, or insights would be appreciated!

Postby Guest » Fri 21 Apr, 2006 00:13

i build pools in fl and they must be useing cheap pvc becouse we never have that kind of problems with our pools might wanna un hook the self cleaning system plaster over it and buy a navigator or other brand of cleaner that just goes around the pool and elbows should not go bad especially after only 9 years thanks

Postby Guest » Fri 21 Apr, 2006 00:15

they can bypass the floor cleaning system as long as you have other returns
bears fan
I'm new here
I'm new here

Advice?

Postby bears fan » Fri 11 May, 2007 06:27

Anonymous wrote:they can bypass the floor cleaning system as long as you have other returns
Are you the "pool builder" from FL? I pulled out my hydrostatic valve thinking it was a drain. My pool began filling up with ground water. Will the valve reseal itself when the pool is full enough? Or does it have to specially installed? Any advice would be appreciated!

Postby Guest » Sun 13 May, 2007 10:43

yes, long as check valve is working o.k. just to be sure replace it. Far as pop-ups they are useless. yrs ago used as sales pitch that pool cleans by itself. More plumbing you got , more suceptable for leaks . I would of plaster over permenently.
user

Postby user » Mon 22 Apr, 2013 18:09

my in-floor pop-ups are leaking too but I just spent 8k refinishing my pool and have no warranty on the in-floors as they are older. Would it be possible to use PVC glue to glue in my pop-ups and seal/block my piping?
Northeast Indoor Guy

Postby Northeast Indoor Guy » Sat 13 Jul, 2013 09:54

I have paramount pop-ups in my 18 year old indoor pool. They don't leak, and neither does the pool, I don't vacuum the pool and I don't plan to plaster them over. Its possible that swapping the pool plumber's customary schedule 40 pipe and fittings with schedule 80 from a good plumbing supply house and using the primer and glue properly has something to do with the outcome. As far as I can tell pool plumbing is frequently done at a lower cost and to a lower standard than indoor plumbing, and its a false economy in the long run.
Trivial $50 - $100 differences in the cost of materials (or builder's profit) placed underground makes an enormous difference in the longevity of the pool. Use schedule 80 when the pipe will be inaccessable for repair. Use schedule 40 PVC pipe and fittings where its OK if they crack and burst because they're easily repairable or you just don't care. I'm sure someone will chime in "no one ever uses use sch 80..."
Northeast Indoor Guy

Postby Northeast Indoor Guy » Sat 13 Jul, 2013 10:06

oh... the newly finished pool with leaking pop up line or lines... the lines can be repaired by an epoxy "grouting" style method or by pulling a hose sleeve inside the line that leaks. If its at the 90 under the pop up you may be able to something more directly without chipping into the pool shell, but if this has gone on for some time, the shell may need to be repaired where the leak has carried away the gunite.

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”