Leaks in 40 year old pool

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
Tom-in-Cal
I'm new here
I'm new here

Leaks in 40 year old pool

Postby Tom-in-Cal » Mon 03 Mar, 2008 13:29

My gunnite pool is 40 years old, 20x40. I believe I have leaks in the return lines (from pump to pool) and in the skimmer line from the pool (not in the line from the skimmer to pump). I have already fixed a leak at the light where the grommet went bad. Two questions: 1) I believe the pipes are metal; is it reasonable that the lines would begin to break down after 40 years. 2) I'm worried about the bottom drain line (it doesn't leak now); how in the world would one fix it if it started leaking? My thinking now is to dig up all the lines (except the drain line) and replace with PVC. Comments?

Postby Guest » Thu 06 Mar, 2008 00:24

trench out and intall new suction,return, new skimmer.plugg off bottom drain.
muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby muss08 » Sat 08 Mar, 2008 16:34

Dont plug off bottom drain unless absolutely necessary. This will severly hurt the "flow" of the pool. Most often if there is a leak in any suction line, skimmers or main drain, air will be present in the system. You need to pressure test the plumbing lines to figure out exactly where the leak is. If your pipes have lasted 40 years and this is your first plumbing leak you should be grateful.

Most often leaks will occur at the fitting where the pipe meets the main drain or skimmer. This can be determined through a pressure test. If this is the case then you dont have to replace all plumbing lines. Just the skimmer or main drain itself. How do you dispense chlorine in your pool? If you place chlorine pucks or sticks in your skimmer baskets then this could cause the corrosion of your metal pipes as could low pH.

Postby Guest » Sun 16 Mar, 2008 12:07

muss08 wrote:Dont plug off bottom drain unless absolutely necessary. This will severly hurt the "flow" of the pool. Most often if there is a leak in any suction line, skimmers or main drain, air will be present in the system. You need to pressure test the plumbing lines to figure out exactly where the leak is. If your pipes have lasted 40 years and this is your first plumbing leak you should be grateful.

Most often leaks will occur at the fitting where the pipe meets the main drain or skimmer. This can be determined through a pressure test. If this is the case then you dont have to replace all plumbing lines. Just the skimmer or main drain itself. How do you dispense chlorine in your pool? If you place chlorine pucks or sticks in your skimmer baskets then this could cause the corrosion of your metal pipes as could low pH.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Postby Guest » Wed 19 Mar, 2008 19:24

What is the condition of the plaster? How deep is the pool?

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”