leak in my concrete pool that no one can seem to find

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
gemma

Postby gemma » Thu 04 May, 2006 21:45

My pool has been losing water at a rate of about 1" per day. Whether the pump is on or off doesn't seem to make any difference. We called the pool builder (pool is about 6 years old) and they sent someone who said there is no leak. He replaced the auto filler. The pool level stops about 8 inches from the rim of the pool. The water level doesn't go down anymore from there. Then we called another company who did the dye test, and they sealed the boulders we have around the pool (the same level as where the water stops). That didn't work. The pool is still leaking. Called another company who did pressure testing of all the in ground pipes and pop-ups, and dye tested, and dove in the pool visually looking for cracks. Did not find any. They thought it was the auto filler, so they closed that off to see if the water level goes down. Yes, it did. That was not the leak. Any ideas out there? American Leak Detection company is supposed to be the best, but they can't seem to find the leak. Where else should we look? There is no wetness around the pool area.

Pool Leak

Swimming pool leak help

Postby Pool Leak » Fri 05 May, 2006 04:27

Try to determine what is at the level the water stabilizes at. Could be something around the skimmer, cracks or joints between boulders and concrete, leaky light fixture, . . .

Postby Guest » Fri 01 Dec, 2006 02:34

I herd Leak guy is best. maybe he suggestions.760 423-9895
dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Postby dynamictiger » Fri 01 Dec, 2006 17:24

The issue with this leak is that it appears to not be a pressure leak. This makes most leak detection firms unable to assist as they normally listen for the leak.

The other common method is dye testing, which has already failed on your pool.

Reading your post I am curious about the rocks. How are they attached to the pool? What is teh pool made of and what is the surface finish? What sort of ground do you have sand, clay, etc?

You could try this.

1: Block any overflows

2: Fill the pool to the very brim

3: With stealth very slowly using phenol red squirt it in to the every rock crevice and see if it tracks or seems to track.

If my guess on your information is correct the cost to you to employ contractors to find this leak is going to be so high it is unrealistic. I think you need to spend the hours and hours searching get it isolated to a few areas you think it is and have a contractor confirm it for you.

Could you please let us know what kind of rocks you have sand stone, lime stone, basalt, granite, etc.

HTH
neil

Postby neil » Sat 19 Jan, 2013 07:43

you have to check also the hydro static valve normaly installed beside the main drain pipe line.
also check the gaps between the concrete and pvc pipe that installed in your pool.
Leak Masters LLC Charleston SC

Postby Leak Masters LLC Charleston SC » Sat 26 Jan, 2013 08:00

gemma wrote:My pool has been losing water at a rate of about 1" per day. Whether the pump is on or off doesn't seem to make any difference. We called the pool builder (pool is about 6 years old) and they sent someone who said there is no leak. He replaced the auto filler. The pool level stops about 8 inches from the rim of the pool. The water level doesn't go down anymore from there. Then we called another company who did the dye test, and they sealed the boulders we have around the pool (the same level as where the water stops). That didn't work. The pool is still leaking. Called another company who did pressure testing of all the in ground pipes and pop-ups, and dye tested, and dove in the pool visually looking for cracks. Did not find any. They thought it was the auto filler, so they closed that off to see if the water level goes down. Yes, it did. That was not the leak. Any ideas out there? American Leak Detection company is supposed to be the best, but they can't seem to find the leak. Where else should we look? There is no wetness around the pool area.

The pool needs to be test completely, If the complete plumbing systems has been check the complete systems!
The main drain wells and HSV but saying that if it stops 8" from the top check the light conduits seal them completely with Pool Putty please let me know what you fine out:-)
Thanks
Jack
Charleston Pool Experts
Charleston SC
Gibsongirl

Postby Gibsongirl » Mon 11 Feb, 2013 08:27

Did you ever solve your problem. We have the same. Our level has stabilized 8 tiles below the light. So the bottom and main drain are fine. The water level has cleared all lights, intakes, outlets and skimmer. The pump has been off while we are checking. All that's left is the sides of the pool, which are tiled. We're stumped.

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”