Need help with a major Spa Leak around light

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
CoronaJim
I'm new here
I'm new here

Need help with a major Spa Leak around light

Postby CoronaJim » Mon 15 May, 2006 14:41

My spa developed a leak beginning of last season. I hired a spa person found thru the yellow pages to come take a look. I was at work and let him work on spa while I wasn't home ( big mistake ). He called to say that he determined leak was coming from around the light. He gave me a price to fix it and I agreed.

When I arrived home, leak was fixed by removing light and pushing wires back into hole behind spa wall where they are all but impossible to retrieve. He then just plugged up the hole with some sort of hard compound. He also cut wires on light fixture so close to fixture that there is no wire left to try and splice. So light now need to be replaced also. Repairmans response to solution was " Hey, you wanted the leak fixed, now there is no more leak " My wife was furious and refused to pay him, he has never since asked for payment.

Spa started leaking again towards end of season, had another company come out and look. They claimed I would have to pay someone to cut thru the cement next to the spa to try and retrieve wires. He fixed leak as best he could, but said it was really going to need a more permanent solution.

Now its spring, I just opened pool and spa. Leak is worse than before. I have had it. I'm pretty handy and am convinced that I can figure out a solution with enough time. I worry about doing it myself and mixing Electricity with water. I have 2 small children and don't want to worry about electricuting them.

Can anyone give me any suggestions ? ... I've thought about using anything resembling a " coat hanger " to try and hook the wires behind the spa wall. They have to be " right " there and retrievable, it just may take awhile. If I could just get to them, I could always then replace the whole wire back to the electrical source.

How can I attempt this project safely ?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Spa Light

Postby Guest » Wed 24 May, 2006 19:08

Where is the junction box for your spa light? (it should be above the water line either at your equipment or at the edge of the pool deck)

You should be able to run an electricians fish tape from the junction box back to your spa niche. Then attach the cord for your new light (measure for cord length first). Pull thru to the junction box. When the light cord is pulled thru and you have enough cord to change the bulb, wrap car window ribbon waterpruffing tape around the cord at the back of the niche. You will need to push the ribbon tape into the conduit, repeat this until you have a tight fit. The ribbon tape will not harden and stays flexable. This is only a bandaid fix but will keep the spa from leaking. Hope this helps.
CoronaJim
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby CoronaJim » Mon 05 Jun, 2006 12:16

Thanks,

I've gotten alot of advice from different places. My new light is on order and should come this week.

I'm confident with everyones " tips and hints" .. I'll be able to tackle the job.

Once again,

Thanks

Jim

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”