IG Vinyl Pool Leaks - Wall Fitting Suspected

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
dingo2045
I'm new here
I'm new here

IG Vinyl Pool Leaks - Wall Fitting Suspected

Postby dingo2045 » Wed 07 Jan, 2009 12:40

Hi All,
At the end of last season my IG vinyl pool was losing 1-2 inches per day. I ran dye tests around all fittings and found no evidence of leaks. However, when I closed the pool and blew out one of the suction lines (wall fitting to pump) I noticed that the liner was blowing out behind the fitting...especially once the plug went in. Would this indicate a bad/broken fitting connection to the pipe? Possible gasket? - or would this result in air blowing into the water around the fitting. I am assuming that I will have to dig out behind the fitting to repair...
(I also seem to get a lot of sand/soil coming back into the pool from the return, when filtering...is this connected?)

Thanks!!!

greg340
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby greg340 » Wed 07 Jan, 2009 21:48

I would say its broken behind the wall fitting most likely the fitting thats screwed into the wall fitting
Twin State Pool Service
SCHARRON
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby SCHARRON » Thu 08 Jan, 2009 20:07

IF IT IS A BUSTED LINE RIGHT BEHIND THE WALL IT IS POSSIBLE TO FIX W/O BUSTING THE CONCRETE DECK TO DIG TO IT. YOU CAN CUT THROUGH THE POOL WALL NEXT TO THE RETURN,BUT YOU WILL HAVE TO DRAIN,OR ALMOST COMPLETELY DRAIN THE POOL TO UNSNAP THE LINER AND GET BACK THERE TO WORK ON IT. ITS EASIER TO PATCH THE POOL WALL BEHIND THE LINER THAN BUSTING UP A POOL DECK.
ChuckGeo

Leak at fitting.

Postby ChuckGeo » Fri 16 Jan, 2009 10:22

Air between the wall and liner usually indicates a cracked return fitting. It may be cracked where it goes through the wall. They will generally crack at the top due to downward pressure on the pipe, from settling. Use an inspection mirror to look in the fitting and dye test the inside of the fitting. If you see a crack, you can make a temporary repair with Pool Putty and see if that solves the problem. The ultimate solution is to break the deck, dig out the fitting and replace it.

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”