Soft Concrete Hiding in Hard Coat

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
dcmackie
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby dcmackie » Mon 27 Apr, 2009 10:25

When I attempted to scrape off a rust mark on the ledge of the skimmer my chisel when right through the diamond brite hard coat. It is likely the source of a previously unfound leak we have been experiencing.

Subsequent excavations found a lump of crumbly rusted rebar sitting in an area of totally "soft" concrete. The soft concrete extends the width of the skimmer basket entry and down about four inches. I have dug it all out and will be patching with hydraulic cement. This soft concrete can literally be spooned out, has the consistency of butter and does not seem to have any aggregate mixed in.

The pool is about 14 years old. The hard coat surface is generally not too bad.

What is the likely cause of this problem? Faulty installation, the effect of 14 years of chemicals or the rusting rebar?

Should I be worried that there are other soft spots lurking behind the hard coat elsewhere?

Will my patch suffice?

johncraymer
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: large kidney shape ingroung concrete haward pump and filter teledeyne lards heater

Postby johncraymer » Sun 07 Jun, 2009 13:47

check and see if coping is sealed this is most likely from water penatrating the concrete from behind I have seen this problem in pools with interlock paving stones used as coping

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”