No less that 8 holes in my 2 1/2 yr old pool! Help!!

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
virraszto
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby virraszto » Wed 03 Jun, 2009 14:33

Last summer, we had to top off our pool but didn't think anything of it. During the winter, our water level dropped significantly, and we knew we had a leak. Just the past few days we have found at least 8 holes in the bottom side of our pool. They are all at about the same level, some 5 inches apart, some 10 inches apart. We patched the ones we found.
I am pissed off because this pool is practically new. I paid over $4 k cash ( which was STUPID). We have had very little use of the pool and only 3 adults ever in it at one time. We can't think of *anything* we did to make those holes, ( they look like sideways slits) no sharp objects in pool, no little kids, etc.

Before I knew of ALL 8 or more leaks, Icalled the company I bought it from. I was just going to get a new liner because the guys put it in terrible in the first place. They offered to sell me one at a discount rate of $400 plus labor. ( How nice of them. :thumbdown: ) They said the liner was only guaranteed if the holes were along the seam. At that time, I thought the holes might be from the Aqua water bug. Told them I would think about it.

But when I went out today, one of the holes got bigger and is still leaking, (alot!). We managed to fix it again, hopefully it will hold long enough to get this straightened out.

Anyone know what could cause these and could it be a defective liner? They were not caused by our ladder. They span from three support rails, or whatever they are called. We drained the pool, fixed the holes and filled it back up the same day, (cloudy day) so we didn't shrink the liner..besides the holes were there before we drained and refilled. Costs me $500 to fill the darn thing!

Do I have cause to call the pool place back and bitch up a storm and demand a new liner? Also to add, when the pool is filled, the holes are on the bottom right on the cove thing.

virraszto
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby virraszto » Wed 03 Jun, 2009 16:55

Here's what one of the holes looks like now. It looks like it's just gonna keep splitting.

No replies? Really hoping someone can offer some advice.

mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Wed 03 Jun, 2009 18:29

when i have talked to a guy who installes them he said the same thing the seams are the thing they warranty.
He claims that automatic cleaners can cause the problem but it seemed fishy to me. Something about it running over tiny pebbles/rocks causing rips....

I would check your pool brush for sharp edges or take out the cleaner for awhile & vac manually & see what happens. This can at least prove them wrong and I have not seen them fix holes before but know they did not have to drain the pool to patch them so talking to the company about this could help in the future if you find more.
virraszto
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby virraszto » Thu 04 Jun, 2009 11:59

My husband got in the freezing water yesterday to repair the patches that started leaking when we filled the pool. Because one of them is a sideways slit, it seems to be growing. I'm afraid it will just keep tearing.

The water was gushing out and we lost at least 5 inches of water and now the water is a little bit below the skimmer. We have to use our well water to add to it to be able to turn the heater on to warm the water enough to get back in it.

Was hoping for some more input from this site. :(

V.

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”