Fixed pump cavitating & bubbles in my return jets....

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
forboon
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 55000 i think...medium anyway.

sand filter

chlorine

15 years old maybe

Postby forboon » Thu 04 Jun, 2009 17:54

Sounds like I'm boasting but really I just had so much frustration and fear (of digging up pipes) that couldve been avoided, and maybe somebody will read this and it will help. My symptoms were, low pressure, creepy wouldn't run anymore, pump was running half air half water, small bubbles coming out of the returns, poor filtration (although I didn't realize at the time). Eventually my pump would not pump at all and was cavitating all though you could tell the bearing in the pump were decent and okay. I had checked all the gaskets and seals I could.

in desperation I took the pump apart (was quite easy) and realized 2 of the four impeller sections where clogged. with a wire and about half an hour I unclogged it and the pump runs twice as good as it used and there are no bubbles. there's no way i could check the impeller or clear the debris without opening it. any handy person could do it, i think

I had to unscrew the body of the pump (plastic ring about 6" in diameter. Unscrew about 2-4 screw to take a ninja star looking piece off and finally revealed the impeller which is four chamber (hard to explain but its the opposite of fan blades. There was literally cement in them, sand that had hardened and small pieces of lava rocks

I just think when people check there impeller they use there fingers to remove the leaves but that's not always enough.

No time for grammar check. must use pool

Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Denali » Thu 04 Jun, 2009 19:54

forboon wrote:Sounds like I'm boasting but really I just had so much frustration and fear (of digging up pipes) that couldve been avoided, and maybe somebody will read this and it will help. My symptoms were, low pressure, creepy wouldn't run anymore, pump was running half air half water, small bubbles coming out of the returns, poor filtration (although I didn't realize at the time). Eventually my pump would not pump at all and was cavitating all though you could tell the bearing in the pump were decent and okay. I had checked all the gaskets and seals I could.

in desperation I took the pump apart (was quite easy) and realized 2 of the four impeller sections where clogged. with a wire and about half an hour I unclogged it and the pump runs twice as good as it used and there are no bubbles. there's no way i could check the impeller or clear the debris without opening it. any handy person could do it, i think

I had to unscrew the body of the pump (plastic ring about 6" in diameter. Unscrew about 2-4 screw to take a ninja star looking piece off and finally revealed the impeller which is four chamber (hard to explain but its the opposite of fan blades. There was literally cement in them, sand that had hardened and small pieces of lava rocks

I just think when people check there impeller they use there fingers to remove the leaves but that's not always enough.

No time for grammar check. must use pool

So that's where my lava rocks went!

Good job. And thanks for passing on the info.

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”