Pool Overflowing

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
allenh
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Gunite. Approx 7 years old. Sand filter.

Pool Overflowing

Postby allenh » Tue 16 Jun, 2009 11:52

So I get up this morning and my pool is overflowing. The pump shuts off around 9pm and was not on yet this morning when I noticed the overflow.

I drained some water and about two hours later noticed the water level had risen again (this is with the pump running). I just drained some water again and have the pump shut off.

Any ideas? I do NOT have a autofill feature, meaning I have to run a garden hose to add water. We have not had rain in a couple of weeks. Could I be getting ground water seeping in from the neighbors running their sprinkler systems?

We have had this pool and house for two years.....first time this has happened.... :?:

Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Pool Overflowing

Postby Denali » Wed 17 Jun, 2009 05:54

allenh wrote:So I get up this morning and my pool is overflowing. The pump shuts off around 9pm and was not on yet this morning when I noticed the overflow.

I drained some water and about two hours later noticed the water level had risen again (this is with the pump running). I just drained some water again and have the pump shut off.

Any ideas? I do NOT have a autofill feature, meaning I have to run a garden hose to add water. We have not had rain in a couple of weeks. Could I be getting ground water seeping in from the neighbors running their sprinkler systems?

We have had this pool and house for two years.....first time this has happened.... :?:

Hi,

Strange. The only thing that comes to mind is a fill line. It isn't an autofill but a dedicated line that would have a valve probably near a hose bib. If the valve leaked it would add to the pool. This type of line was common at one time. The entry point would be in or just below the tile line.

I can't think of anyway for water to get in. Ground water seeping in would probably be dirty. I suppose a broken sprinkler head gushing water could do it.

Wish I could offer more ideas but can't think of any.
AmyT

Pool Overflowing

Postby AmyT » Sat 02 Jul, 2011 09:36

I have awakened to the same situation this morning. I've had my pool for 5 years and never had this problem. We had the pool built, so I think we'd know if there was an auto fill valve. Water is clean.
jenniferhoops
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Pool Overflowing

Postby jenniferhoops » Wed 20 Jul, 2011 00:02

I think there must be a leakage problem some where. Please check all pipes and valves carefully and try to update your pump with auto cut feature.
We provides protection against low water flow, lead leaching, corrosion and Water Leaks.
ChuckGeo
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Pool Overflowing

Postby ChuckGeo » Wed 20 Jul, 2011 15:19

Is there a manual fill line plumbed into the pool plumbing, usually at the filter pad. If so, the valve to the fill line may have failed open, or partially open, or may not be closing completely. You may hear water running when the filter pump is turned off.
Another possibility is a huge spring under the pool that has enough pressure to push open the hydrostatic relief valve and fill the pool. However, I believe that if you had a spring that would fill the pool to overflowing, the area around the pool area would be awfully wet.
Does it happen every day or occassionally? If occassionally, can you correlate the event to any other event. Does it happen whether the pump is on or off?
Let me know what happens.
Chuck
Owner, Superior Pool Services
25 years leak detection experience
KC

Pool Overflowing

Postby KC » Tue 27 Sep, 2011 13:42

Hi, Did you figure out why the water was being added to your pool. I am having a similar problem. I thought my auto-fill was not working. So, I plugged it. But, water is still being added to my pool. I would be grateful for any help or advice.

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”