What is normal evaporation?

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
wfcarp
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 13' X 32" fiberglass in ground. Hayward cartridge filter, Stay-rite pump, baker skimmer. pool was built in 1984

Postby wfcarp » Sat 27 Jun, 2009 14:31

We live just north of Tampa, FL. and bought a house with pool last year. It seems to loose approx. 3/4" to 1" every 7 to 10 days. Is this normal evaporation?

The pool was built in 1984 and it's a 13' X 32' fiberglass in-ground. There are no leaks at the pump. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Denali » Sat 27 Jun, 2009 14:37

wfcarp wrote:We live just north of Tampa, FL. and bought a house with pool last year. It seems to loose approx. 3/4" to 1" every 7 to 10 days. Is this normal evaporation?

The pool was built in 1984 and it's a 13' X 32' fiberglass in-ground. There are no leaks at the pump. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

A lot of factors play into what would be considered a normal evaporation rate. It isn't unusual to lose 1/4 inch a day so you are certainly in the normal range.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sat 27 Jun, 2009 16:10

This map will show normal evaporation rates for unheated water. It's around 60" per year in your area so that's around 0.16" per day, but the evaporation rate will be higher with your water being heated and it's usually higher in the summer than in the winter. 1" in 7 days would be perfectly normal and if anything a little on the low side unless your water isn't heated.

Richard

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”