Losing water and air bubbles

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
Dragonfly
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Inground 20 X 40, 1 hp pump

Postby Dragonfly » Fri 07 Aug, 2009 08:49

I have a 20 X 40 inground pool with a 1hp pump. I have been loosing a good amount of water daily. My husband has checked for leaks around the pump and filter system and nothing. He has even started digging up the underground lines. The skimmer also seems to be fine. When the pump is running, we get air bubbles coming out of the jets. This morning I suggested he do a dye test with the pump off and water still. The jet closest to the pump is sucking in the dye at a slow rate. Can anybody please HELP.

Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Me... » Fri 07 Aug, 2009 12:12

Pressure test that return line. That is a good indicator the leak is in that line and if the other returns do not suck in dye, or at least not as much, then the leak should be close to the wall.
Vinyl Master
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Vinyl Master » Fri 07 Aug, 2009 20:06

When air bubbles are coming out of the returns it is an indication of a leak on the suction side of the plumbing. The leak is in the plumbing line between the skimmer and the pump. you can get a pressure test of that line to be 100%, usually it will be a crack in the elbow in the bottom of the skimmer.
superdoopie
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby superdoopie » Sat 08 Aug, 2009 10:34

Look in the skimmers for cracks in the plastic. Also dye test the light(s). I've stopped many leaks by resealing the light cord with butyl tape.

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”