Air in pump

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
rayfg
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20x40 in ground, vinyl liner, sand filter

Air in pump

Postby rayfg » Sat 01 May, 2010 22:12

My pump is sucking air when filter is in filter position. It stops if I close one of the return lines. It also stops when filer is in backwash even with both return lines open. Any ideas where to look for leak? Thanks.

discountpool
I'm new here
I'm new here

Air in pump

Postby discountpool » Fri 11 Feb, 2011 05:18

I had this problem once. I called a plumber and he solved the problem. How he did not tell me. Cause I was not at home that time. Gone outside putting my wife in charge.
ChuckGeo
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Air in pump

Postby ChuckGeo » Sat 12 Feb, 2011 13:10

It definitely sounds like a small suction leak. Do you see any water appearing around the pump lid or suction valves and plumbing at the moment you turn the pump off? If so, where the water leaks out, air can pull in. You can test this by turning on the pump and directing a stream of water at the suspicious area, the air in the pump will stop if that location is the air leak.
If you have 2 or more suction valves (main drain, skimmer, vacuum), with the pump on,open each one individually. Is the air more pronounced at any 1 valve? If so you might have a leak in one of the suction lines.
Chuck
Owner, Superior Pool Services
25 years leak detection experience
bbanks

Air in pump

Postby bbanks » Sat 21 May, 2011 22:21

Hi Chuck, I have an above ground pool that is 26 yrs. old and for the past 3-4 years I have a lot of air bubbles showing in the dome of my sand filter. Bubbles also show in the top of the filter before the pump, but if I slightly shut the main drain valve and leave the skimmer valve open, the bubbles decrease in the pump filter but not in the sand filter. Any ideas? Also, will this harm the pump?
bbanks

Air in pump

Postby bbanks » Sat 21 May, 2011 22:25

Hi Chuck, I have an above ground pool that is 26 yrs. old and for the past 3-4 years I have a lot of air bubbles showing in the dome of my sand filter. Bubbles also show in the top of the filter before the pump, but if I slightly shut the main drain valve and leave the skimmer valve open, the bubbles decrease in the pump filter but not in the sand filter. Any ideas? Also, will this harm the pump?

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”