Found and fixed leak Dirt still coming in

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
joannelcoq\

Postby joannelcoq\ » Sat 22 May, 2010 07:50

The line was repaired that had the leak but after a vacuum, I find a new sandy or dirty DE settlement in the pool. Could i have a leak somewhere else. It was pressure tested. Someone said it could be my filter fins that could have a damage on it. I have a vinyl inground 22,000 gal pool and the filter is about 10 years old.

ChuckGeo
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby ChuckGeo » Sun 23 May, 2010 17:01

Dirt and DE returning to the pool often is symptomatic of a problem in the DE filter. Inside of de filters there are cloth covered plastic grids or fingers that the DE collects on, but does not pass through. Over a period of years the cloth covering degrades and eventually gets holes in it that let the DE and dirt return to the pool. Typically you will see DE returning to the pool through the return jets when you recharge the filter after backwashing. If the filter is 10 years old, it is certainly in the age range when the grids/fingers are reaching the end of their lives. I'd recommend disassembling the filter, clean the grids/fingers and inspect them for holes, also check the collection manifold. Worst case, you'd have to replace the entire grid/finger bundle, the upside is you'll have a new filter!
Chuck
Owner, Superior Pool Services
25 years leak detection experience
joelcoqui

Postby joelcoqui » Fri 18 Jun, 2010 18:45

Thanks Chuck. This was done but I still see no damage on any of the grids. The only thing worn out a bit is the little finger sock on the top of the grids. I cant see why that would cause dirt/DE to come back into the pool. Could it be that the tears or holes are not visible. I really cleaned them well and no sign of wear. Thanks again. :crazy:
ChuckGeo
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby ChuckGeo » Sat 19 Jun, 2010 07:26

When exactly do you see dirt retrurning to the pool? Is it a little puff or does it cloud up the pool water? Is the fallout sandy or dusty consistancy? What brand is your filter.
Chuck

joelcoqui

Postby joelcoqui » Sat 19 Jun, 2010 11:04

I have a 36 Hayward inground. I dont really see it come back in until the water is still and you see it all at the bottom of the pool.
joelcoqui

Postby joelcoqui » Sat 19 Jun, 2010 12:38

It looks like a little dirty DE...and it has sand in it because I have been vacuuming up some dirt. Water is crystal clear though. When I try to vacuum, it smokes up at the bottom so I have to do it very slowly. It does not cloud up the pool. If I dont backwash and return to filter, Im good. So far the pressure gauge is ok so I wont backwash. Thank you. :roll:
ChuckGeo
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby ChuckGeo » Sun 20 Jun, 2010 08:46

Try this, put the filter in backwash for 5 seconds, then back to filter. Immediately observe the return water in the pool, if it's cloudy there is a problem in the filter, i.e. a hole in the grid assembly. If no dirt/DE returning to the pool we need to look elsewhere.
Chuck

joelcoqui

Postby joelcoqui » Mon 21 Jun, 2010 16:22

I just went out and bought a new filter. Just cant take it anymore. Didnt vacuum yet so didnt backwash yet. In a few days we will know.
Thanks alot.
joelcoqui

Postby joelcoqui » Fri 25 Jun, 2010 16:20

I dont know if its the leftover DE, but Im still finding DE settling in the bottom of the pool...not as much though. What else could it be?? :crazy:

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”