Diagnosing an inground pool leak?

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
NoPool4U

Postby NoPool4U » Mon 05 Jul, 2010 16:17

Hi,

Over the last 24h I noticed the pool lost about 3 inches of water. That seems more than usual, so I was wondering if maybe there is a leak somewhere. Now, how exactly do I go about diagnosing that? It's an outdoor inground pool.

Thanks so much for your help!

ChuckGeo
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby ChuckGeo » Tue 06 Jul, 2010 15:05

The first step is to take water loss measurements, specifically you want to measure the loss over 24 hours with the pump on continously and 24 hours with the pump off continously. If you have an attached spa you'll want to also measure the loss from it 24 hours on and off. Let me know what your measurements are and I'll try to help you narrow down the location of the leak.
Chuck
Owner, Superior Pool Services
25 years leak detection experience
NoPool4U

Postby NoPool4U » Tue 06 Jul, 2010 18:08

Thank you!! I read about the bucket test, so I put one outside yesterday to see if there is a significant difference between both. I'll check tonight. I'm pretty sure there will be a difference though. My first guess is the pool light. I noticed there is corrosion around it and small particles come off when you place the vacuum over it. We were actually planning to have the pool replastered this summer, so the leak might come at the right time (if there is such thing :) ).
NoPool4U

Postby NoPool4U » Tue 06 Jul, 2010 22:26

So, I checked it out tonight and the bucket pretty much didn't lose any water at all while the pool level dropped about 2". I will do another test with the pool pump off and see if the level still drops.
NoPool4U

Postby NoPool4U » Wed 07 Jul, 2010 22:03

Update: the water level barely dropped with the pump off (consistent with the bucket) but it was at the skimmer level to begin with. So, now I will refill the pool above the skimmer level, turn off the pump and see if it still drops. If it doesn't, it's the equipment, if it does, it's the skimmer (or something above that level at least).

I'll keep the updates coming :)
ChuckGeo
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby ChuckGeo » Thu 08 Jul, 2010 05:49

If the pool doesn't leak when you fill the pool up, with the pump off, I'd suspect a leak in the return line or pressure side cleaner line (if you have one). You'll need a professional to locate the leak underground for you.
If it leaks when off after you fill the pool, and stops leaking at the bottom of the skimmer opening, I'd suspect a leak in the skimmer throat. Specifically, where the skimmer butts up to the pool there is a grout joint that can open up and start leaking. This is easily repaired with Pool Putty epoxy after you confirm the leak with a dye test.
Keep me posted.
Chuck

Owner, Superior Pool Services

25 years leak detection experience
lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: Geometric 16K gal shotcrete w/exposed aggregate; Pentair EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, VS-3050 pump, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG; Heliocol solar. Rocky's reel

Postby lbridges » Thu 08 Jul, 2010 15:42

Might find this site helpful.
RomanHeber
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I dont have any pool

Re: Diagnosing an inground pool leak?

Postby RomanHeber » Tue 15 Aug, 2017 05:25

If your Plumbing leaks and the contractor denies to repair it under the warranty , then what steps must be taken for leak repair ?

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”