Plaster and Concrete Problem

Tile, mosaic, marbelite, Marcite, Marblesheen,
fiberglass, plaster, shotcrete, paint, epoxy coatings.
Use, care and repair of the various surfaces.
obxcape
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 14' X 28' concrete, Plaster, SWG, Heyward Sand Filter

Plaster and Concrete Problem

Postby obxcape » Wed 08 Nov, 2017 06:26

I have a concrete pool that developed a crack in the vicinity of the main drain. Over time, this crack got larger and became "rust colored." The pool had been replastered about 8 months earlier. The pool was about 10 years old at the time of replastering.

So...the contractor stopped by to chip away the plaster and fix the area that was causing a problem. In the process, he found that there are black colored "veins" in the concrete below the plaster. This is allowing water to seep between the concrete and the plaster. As such, this apparently led to the plaster problem.

Any ideas on how this can be effectively and PERMANENTLY fixed? The contractor stated that he has to remove the plaster to the point of origin of the "veins" that are visible in the concrete and stop the problem there, which makes sense. We just have no idea how far these "veins" go throughout the floor of the pool.

If I can find a way to post photos to this forum topic I will do that. But I don't see that capability. A few photos would pretty much tell the story of what I am facing.

Thanks!
Joe

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Plaster and Concrete Problem

Postby Teapot » Wed 08 Nov, 2017 08:48

Hi Joe, not backing out but your guy on site has first hand knowledge and may well carry out a repair in a different way to me. I open up the cracks and insert stainless steel twisted restraints and fill with epoxy repair mortar. I may well go over the area with laticrete to seal it before replastering.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Plaster and Concrete Problem

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 09 Nov, 2017 17:33

You can drag and drop images into your post, it won't appear there but will be indicated in a box below as an attachment. When posted it should appear in your published post

Return to “Pool Surface Discussions”