Possible to choose fiberglass as the surface for a new gunite pool?

Tile, mosaic, marbelite, Marcite, Marblesheen,
fiberglass, plaster, shotcrete, paint, epoxy coatings.
Use, care and repair of the various surfaces.
bkprice13
I'm new here
I'm new here

Possible to choose fiberglass as the surface for a new gunite pool?

Postby bkprice13 » Sun 24 Mar, 2019 20:32

We are building a gunite pool at our new place. We have to choose between a plaster finish and pebble finish. We don't like the look of pebble, but the newer plaster surfaces don't last very long.

At a previous home, we re-surfaced an old gunite-and-plaster pool with fiberglass and it looked great, was easy to care for, was very durable. Loved it.

So the question is, why isn't fiberglass an option when you are first building a pool? Or can it be? I can imagine getting plaster, and then when it starts to fall apart in 10 years, we'll just have to get fiberglass then. Why not now?

Thanks!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Possible to choose fiberglass as the surface for a new gunite pool?

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 25 Mar, 2019 05:25

If you are keen on fibreglass why didn't you go for a fibreglass pool
Not sure on what finish is best but would assume that the gunite would have to be smooth and dry to get the resin to bond
It's probably more expensive overall, that's why it isn't specified
Have you spoken to your pool builder about it
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Mon 25 Mar, 2019 06:10

You should be able to use fibre glass, plenty of old concrete pools repaired with it.
Other alternatives like polyurea and aqua bright
sktn77a
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 15000 gal inground gunite/plaster (converted from concrete/acrylic). 1hp StaRite DuraGlass P2R pump, 24" Hayward Sand Filter, Teledyne-Laars 250k heater, Hayward CL200 chlorinator, Polaris 380 cleaner with Hayward 6060 booster pump.

Postby sktn77a » Wed 25 Sep, 2019 15:50

Its impossible to get a fiberglass coating as smooth as plaster (look at fiberglass renovations of old plaster pools). It's also more expensive and doesn't last much longer than a plaster finish. It's usually reserved for renovations/repairs of cement pools for a reason.
kandy477
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20,000 gallon fiberglass with a sand filter using Rubysand

Postby kandy477 » Thu 13 Jan, 2022 10:15

Look into ecoFINISH. Its non-porus and PH neutral and after ecoFINISH over plaster your maintenance will basically the be the same as a fiberglass pool. If it were me, I'd go with cheap white plaster and then resurface it with ecoFINISH when your pool is due for a resurface in about ten years or so, or even sooner, if you like.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 13 Jan, 2022 12:35

I did recommend aquabright in the first post, that being a product of the Ecofinish range.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
coffeeblvd
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby coffeeblvd » Mon 04 Dec, 2023 15:39

kandy477 wrote:Look into ecoFINISH. Its non-porus and PH neutral and after ecoFINISH over plaster your maintenance will basically the be the same as a fiberglass pool. If it were me, I'd go with cheap white plaster and then resurface it with ecoFINISH when your pool is due for a resurface in about ten years or so, or even sooner, if you like.

I got an aqua bright https://ecofinishcoatings.com/aquabright/ from eco finish and it's as smooth if not smoother than any fiberglass coating I've felt. It's definitely worth resurfacing earlier if you can make the switch.

Return to “Pool Surface Discussions”