Fiberglass or gunite???

Tile, mosaic, marbelite, Marcite, Marblesheen,
fiberglass, plaster, shotcrete, paint, epoxy coatings.
Use, care and repair of the various surfaces.
No Gunite

Fiberglass or gunite???

Postby No Gunite » Thu 04 Jun, 2009 09:37

I have had a gunite pool for 10 years. It looked good for the first 2. The staining over the winter is brutal and no amount of brushing/shocking will get it out. The plaster is no longer smooth like it was originally. Kids that stay in the pool for a while end up with sore feet/blisters. Granted, our pool is fairly large, but I was given a quote of $10,000 for a resurface/replaster. We just opened the pool and I have been brushing it daily for a week now trying to get the algae and stains out. My arms are killing me. Even though the pool is attractive, I would never go with gunite again. I don't know anything about fiberglass, but vinyl is looking better and better to me over the years.

tylertx

Fiberglass or gunite???

Postby tylertx » Mon 24 Aug, 2009 10:51

I have just had a fiberglass pool with a tanning ledge put in, in the Shreveport, Louisiana area by a man who has no clue what he is doing! Our tanning ledge is 2 inches off level, we have grass growing inside of it, you can actually stick your fingers all the way thru the concrete and the lip of tanning ledge and the pool!! He also put wooden stakes on outside of tanning ledge for the formation and now they are stuck in the concrete! It also has ridges and even a place where the finish has come off about a quarter size. It is the biggest mess, and looks like white trash. I would NEVER go fiberglass again!! You have to really make sure that the company knows what they are doing, because if it isn't done right in the beginning you can have problems with it in the first week or up to 10 years later. My Dad built his own pool and it has lasted forever. You never know with the fiberglass. If I could just go back in time I would go gunite or vinyl liner in a heartbeat with a reputable company instead of a company who didn't even train their distribitor who represents their company to put in their pools in the right way.
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Fiberglass or gunite???

Postby czechmate » Mon 24 Aug, 2009 15:55

I hope it is not out of place or even rude to remaind everyone here, that we live in the era of "information superhighway". Anyone who can reach these pages can gain the information on the proper procedure on any application of a particular surface and find a reputable contractor.
That being said, people should always get two, three opinions on the same subject, since as we all know there is a lot of "willing experts" giving out wrong or bias opinions.
Then there are those, who will tell you anything just to get the job secured.
One more thing of caution.
Even the reputable company may in time of high work load hire or borrow a crew from someone else.
You always need to be either present yourself, provided you have the necessary knowledge of a correct procedure, or get friends help who has it.
Just recently it happend to me with a crew ,that showed up for an acid wash and Bond Kote application.
They showed up late, did not have anything on the truck to neutralize acid with, like Soda Ash and did not even have the Bon Kote bags and resin in containers.
I send them home after a acid wash and had to pressure wash the walls to get the acid residue of the plaster. Fortunately I knew the recommended procedure in a great detail.

The thing here is that if no one is present at preparation or "prep" which is a very important foundation for a replaster, the results down the road may be terrible. Those of course usually show up after the warranty expired.
After all, new pool construction or remodel is not like picking a house painter or a roofer.
szzyq16

Fiberglass or gunite???

Postby szzyq16 » Mon 21 Sep, 2009 16:47

OMG!! I'm sitting here reading how everyone promotes fiberglass pools. I have one - 6 yrs old- and I would give my eye teeth to get rid of it. I can NEVER get it clean. I go in almost every day (live in FL) and clean it every time I go in, but it just keeps getting dirtier and dirtier. I have tried all the chemicals out there and nothing seems to work. Maybe someone out there can help me? My pool chemical distributor sure hasn't been able to. Please help if you can.
rrr

Fiberglass or gunite???

Postby rrr » Sat 26 Sep, 2009 20:52

Live in San Antonio and just recently inquired about Leisure Pools. OMG, has the fiberglass industry out priced gunite now a days???? Have taken recent quotes from gunite companies and Leisure Pools came out with a 20,000 price more than a gunite and then spoke of knocking off 14,000 due to production discount. Is there such a thing or am i getting ripped off.??
Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Fiberglass or gunite???

Postby Me... » Tue 29 Sep, 2009 00:58

Have I voted for gunite yet? Hopefully not more than 5 or 6 times in this thread LOL
tylertx

Fiberglass or gunite???

Postby tylertx » Thu 15 Oct, 2009 10:33

rrr wrote:Live in San Antonio and just recently inquired about Leisure Pools. OMG, has the fiberglass industry out priced gunite now a days???? Have taken recent quotes from gunite companies and Leisure Pools came out with a 20,000 price more than a gunite and then spoke of knocking off 14,000 due to production discount. Is there such a thing or am i getting ripped off.??

Whatever you do, do not get that fiberglass pool! The man I was talking about that put my fiberglass pool in here in Shreveport, LA is now getting his pools from Leisure Pools somewhere in Texas. If you read on their website they say that they are not responsible for their distribitor at all. Another words, I could order one of their pools and just show up at your house without a damn clue and put it in. I am telling you we now have 2 big cracks on bottom of pool that are leaking so everytime we vacuum the dirt, it comes right back and the reason is: because the pool was not put in the correct way. You have to really make sure that whomever puts the pool in knows what he is doing and is out their watching his crew to make sure they are doing the correct procedures. What happens if the drains start leaking? Ours did, you have to then drain the pool which you are NOT suppose to ever do in a fiberglass pool. I am telling you I would never go fiberglass again. Just with all the rain we have had our pool has shifted. I hate fiberglass and Randy Mason who put it in!!
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Fiberglass or gunite???

Postby czechmate » Thu 15 Oct, 2009 19:48

rrr wrote:Live in San Antonio and just recently inquired about Leisure Pools. OMG, has the fiberglass industry out priced gunite now a days???? Have taken recent quotes from gunite companies and Leisure Pools came out with a 20,000 price more than a gunite and then spoke of knocking off 14,000 due to production discount. Is there such a thing or am i getting ripped off.??

I had my first gunite bult in 1974.
In 1982, when we were on the market for a new home, we decided to let go of a house that we really, really liked.
Reason was the fiberglass pool in the backyard. And that was strictly for its looks and feel.
Back than, I was not aware of all the potential problems and difficulty fixing them the right way.
We instead bought a home with an ample backyard and I had put in a gunite pool to my design.

I have contracted each trade and personally supervised the crews. The electrical and plumbing I did myself.
In 82 it saved me 11,000.00. For 23 days, that it took to put it in that was a fair piece of change.

I am not saying this to pat myself on the back. I am well past that age.
It is rather to inform potential new pool owners of the idea to follow simmilar route.

All the info needed is widely available and all they need to make sure, is to hire reliable crews.
Fiberglass in my humble opinion is a "nearpool", just like Budweiser is a "nearbeer". :D
RiverPoolsMarc
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16x38 Fiberglass Swimming Pool, 2 speed whisper flow pump, cartridge filter, salt chlorinator.

Fiberglass or gunite???

Postby RiverPoolsMarc » Sun 01 Nov, 2009 23:25

Despite the fact that my company has installed over 600 fiberglass pools and ZERO concrete pools, I think it is silly,and down right irresponsible, to say that fiberglass is the 'only' choice or that gunite is the 'only' choice. It all comes down to what a homeowner is looking for. I read so much about 'if you don't install a fiberglass pool properly then it's a disaster'. Well of course this is true. It's also true with gunite and with vinyl. Such an argument really makes no sense. I've written a blog comparing fiberglass and gunite, so here is my extensive take on this subject:
http://blog.riverpoolsandspas.com/blog/bid/21790/Fiberglass-Swimming-Pools-vs-Concrete-Swimming-Pools-Which-is-better

Marcus Sheridan
PoolSchool

Fiberglass or gunite???

Postby Guest » Sun 27 Jun, 2010 22:48

We just had a quote from Leisure Pools, we also live in san antonio. 16x30 for $40000???? Is fiberglass better and than gunite? Why are their prices soooo high.

Fiberglass or gunite???

Postby Guest » Sat 17 Jul, 2010 21:03

I live in San Antonio and am getting quotes for both gunite and fiberglass. From what I have been told Leisure pools is expensive. If you go with fiberglass or any pool for that matter it is a good idea to get a lot of quotes and do a lot of research.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Fiberglass or gunite???

Postby floridapooltech » Mon 02 Aug, 2010 16:06

there is a lot more you can do with gunite rather than fiberglass. Gunite pools can accomodate marcite, pebbletec, or quartz. As a fiberglass pool can just be....fiberglass!
Hunter392

Fiberglass or gunite?

Postby Hunter392 » Sun 04 Mar, 2012 22:14

Aquatic Escapes wrote:Dittos on the fiberglass pools. The only way to go. I install Viking fiberglass pools with a lifetime warranty. When going with fiberglass, get the graincoating on the bottom. This is a non slip texture built into the pool. Save thousand over gunite maintenance in just a few years. Don't even compare fiberglass to liner...

I have a concern , I purchased a Viking fibreglass pool 4 monthes ago , just now prepairing to install it , and noticed it had cracks in the gel coat all over it every few inches , is this normal ,?? should I go ahead with the installation ??
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Fiberglass or gunite???

Postby czechmate » Tue 06 Mar, 2012 09:00

No.
One more thing. Any so called lifetime warranty in a swimming pool industry is a complete fairy tale.
You can't even make them to come look at it when you start having problems and when you finally succeed, they will give bunch a B.S.
How many lawyers you have on retainer? Well, you can bet that they have them.
Not only do not let them install what raises flag for you as a layman, but hire a own superviser now.
It will cost you peanuts against what may follow later.
Remember: Experience is what you get when you did not get what you wanted.
You paying the bill in the severely hurting economy. So you call the shots!
TA

Fiberglass or gunite???

Postby TA » Sat 24 Mar, 2012 09:46

I had a San Juan Pool installed just over a year ago. It has a colored finish, which looks very nice. It immediately had surface cracks at the base of the steps on each end - probably due to stress during transport, installation, etc.... Mynbelief is that these cracks were probably present before the pool even went into the ground. The cracks are now over 2 feet long at ech end, and fill with dirt so they are very visible. Guests have asked me " what are those lines ?". San Juan would not investigate, look into, or anything. The only response I got was " we do not warranty the gel coat". How is that for spending over 100k on a pool project ? 

I wish I wouldn't have bought this pool, as it gives me alarm of things to come and the lack of ownership of a companies product.

Return to “Pool Surface Discussions”