3M splotchy pool job

Tile, mosaic, marbelite, Marcite, Marblesheen,
fiberglass, plaster, shotcrete, paint, epoxy coatings.
Use, care and repair of the various surfaces.
Steamer

3M quartz plaster

Postby Steamer » Fri 25 Mar, 2005 03:46

Doesn't look too good. Perhaps your local BBB could give you some advice on what to do.

Steamer

3M quartz plaster

Postby Steamer » Sat 26 Mar, 2005 02:48

I found some pictures at http://cms.3m.com/cms/US/en/2-125/cFiliFP/view.jhtml and the plaster seems quite even, not much like yours. I don't know what I would do.

When you visit the other pools, try to ask the owners if they are happy with the plaster. If they are then the surface is probably close to what it should be. If the owners are unavailable when you visit, I would be suspicious that the company is trying to keep you away from possible negative feedback.

Good luck

Postby Guest » Sun 06 Nov, 2005 21:22

Strange way of doing things. Letting a pool sit that long without water will lead to excessive check cracking. Didn't see the pictures but some check cracking is normal. Splotchiness and an ununiform dispersal of the colorquartz is normal. It's not a bathtub so don't expect perfection there's is just too many variables. The way we do colorquartz is last plasterer out drops the hose in and then we return for an in pool acid wash. That allows for the wet cure to begin when it should not a couple of days after the fact.
underthewire

quartz plaster problems

Postby underthewire » Mon 13 Mar, 2006 10:53

Anyone else have problems with a quartz plaster finish? My pool company has told me it's everything from the water well, brass valves, the heater...but certainly cannot be their product.
They acid washed it in December and problems are re appearing in March.

Signed,
Frustrated
Pool Help

Quartz plaster problems

Postby Pool Help » Mon 13 Mar, 2006 15:58

underthewire, it sounds as if you have a staining problem.

Stains are most often a result of metals such as copper that the pool company implied. Have the copper levels checked. If the problem is in your well water, then a metal-out product will prevent the stains. If the problem originates from the pool or its fixtures, you need to determine which fixture and why.

A low pH, total alkalinity, and/ or low hardness levels all lead to increased corrosion and breakdowns of metals, but also result in the etching and softening of the plaster surface, so you probably would have noticed something was wrong there.

Please give more details about the stains - size, color, progression.
N7gtj

Postby N7gtj » Tue 14 Mar, 2006 20:37

We just had 3M done but solid white. It is not splotchy but it did stain while waiting to fill with water. Now that it is full the stains will not brush out. The pool company said the would take care of it. They did say to brush constantly and the more you brush the longer it would last. I have not noticed any cracks yet but the plaster dust in the water makes it hard to see.
Poolz

Finally

Postby Poolz » Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:51

I'm pleased to hear your pool is finally full after the extremely long wait and battle you have had.
Lynn

Brown splotches are all over my new gunite pool plaster

Postby Lynn » Tue 15 May, 2007 20:40

I am very concerned about the splotches I am seeing all over my new white plaster on my inground pool. Can anyone tell me if this is normal and part of the curing process? I read in the brochure the plaster people left me that I might see brownish splotches for a few months. Is this a normal part of the curing process?

I am thinking about calling my pool company and have them come look at it.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks
ITSLULUBELLE

CHANGED POOL TO SALT WATER AND REPLASTER WITH 3M COLORQUARTZ

Postby ITSLULUBELLE » Thu 06 Sep, 2007 13:30

We changed our pool to salt water this past June. The pool company talked us into re tile and re plaster. We selected the 3m colorquartz crystal standard level blue. The process was a real mess, the breaking up of the original plaster and tile and the never ending clean-up. After the 3M colorquartz was installed we had a lot of debris and fine dust. It is now September and we are still getting the fine sandy dust on the floor of the pool and mainly on the baja step. I have noticed that the 3M colorquartz does not come close to appearance as the samples the company puts out. Even with the brushing we feel that it does not have the advertised look. BUT HERE IS THE REAL ISSUE the appearance of light brownish rust looking stains appear in the corners and require a lot of brushing to make them disappear. Now we are getting small pin hole size black spots in clusters at various parts of the pool. I have been searching to determine if it is minerals from the plaster or if it is some type of algae spore. All the chemicals in the pool have been maintained properly with the exception that at start up the pool company forgot to put conditioner in the water to prepare for the salt. The salt was placed in water without proper chemical set-up and it has taken over a month to get the salt and other chemicals stabilized. My pool company has every excuse that has already been mentioned in previous posts. I do believe that pool companies are trained to give the same answers no matter the situation. Bottom line I am not to sure as to whether to recommend the 3M coloraquartz crystals. I will wait until the next season to determine if I am pleased or not. And by the way cracks do appear near the top part usually where the tile is placed. I have not seen any cracks in floor of pool from the plaster job. Only time will tell. :?:
joesuncpa

staining in 3M product

Postby joesuncpa » Mon 24 Sep, 2007 06:15

Hi, I also have a gray staining and the black dots that look like mold spores. My pool company told me that the graying is because the PH level in the pool was maintained at too high a level for too long of a period of time. I disagree with this because I was very adamant about maintaining the proper levels. I never went more than a week without checking the levels. Anyway, they said that the high level of PH creates a moisture barrier and water gets behind the plaster and creates the gray stains. I have been using the Jack's Magic stain removing products to help remove the stains but it hasn't worked as of yet. It's been two months. I just emailed 3M to see if they could send a rep out to take a look. It's hard to trust the pool company on whether it is the product or it was the installation. I will post updates as they occur.
shotgun69

3M splotchy pool job

Postby shotgun69 » Sun 05 Jul, 2009 15:07

I just had a inground pool and spa put in and they used 3M and if the sun is shinning on it it looks great but if there is shade it looks dirty at first the pool company said that it had to cure and now they say that is the way it is. Sort of like stucko if you look at it from different angles it has different colors. Also I now am getting rust lines that you can not get out the pool company went and bought me a piece of sand paper and told me to sand them out. That is the only way they go away but then they come back. They said it is because oof the iron in the rocks or plants around the house I do complete testing on my pool every other day and iit has never showed any iron. i would not use 3M and pool companys all ready have your money so they do not care. do your own foot work.
shotgun

quartz plaster problems

Postby shotgun » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 09:37

I have a 3m pool not even two years old and it looks bad. The pool installers said that's the way it is suppose to look and the 3m reps would not even come and look. My pool sat all weekend before they came back out. It is spotty and you can see brush stains. It is not the chemicals because I am a chemist at work. I would never use a 3m product on my pool again.

Return to “Pool Surface Discussions”