How to determine what type of pool I have

Tile, mosaic, marbelite, Marcite, Marblesheen,
fiberglass, plaster, shotcrete, paint, epoxy coatings.
Use, care and repair of the various surfaces.
Tady
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Pool is 5m x 5m, is an in-ground outdoor pool, natural polished cement, has a sand filter, no skimmer

How to determine what type of pool I have

Postby Tady » Tue 27 Nov, 2018 11:09

Hi pool experts,
I have recently purchased a house with a pool (first time owning a pool). It appears to me to be a concrete pool (or something similar). It is not vinyl, pvc, fibreglass etc.
The original owner told me that he used to paint the pool once a year, but then had the pool rebuilt in natural stone, so it now no longer needs painting.
That makes sense, however I'm trying to confirm whether the pool is actually built from natural stone.
I am not talking about the decking, or any features, or anything like that - just the actual pool itself (the walls and floor).
If it were natural stone, what would it look like??
I figured it would look tiled (ie. with natural stone tiles) - but it does not look tiled.
Is it possible that it was tiled with natural stone and then covered/sealed with something that looks like concrete, or gunnite, or something?? But that doesn't make sense.
Currently the surface looks to me like a type of plaster. It is comfortable to swim in, but if you spend an hour or two in the pool jumping around a lot your feet tend to get a bit sore - with little abrasions from the slightly rough surface.
I am asking all this as I was thinking about painting the pool - to give it a more appealing look, as its a bit drab and dirty - but was told by the original owner NOT to paint the pool.
Unfortunately I am no longer touch with the original owner - otherwise I could ask him.
Many thanks for any advice you could share.
Best
Tady

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: How to determine what type of pool I have

Postby Teapot » Sun 02 Dec, 2018 16:02

Hi Tady and welcome,
Your signature says no skimmer, is your pool a lap edge or zero edge of some type?
The pool sounds like concrete structure but finished with a natural stone rich plaster. All pool paints are rubbish!
If funds allow the best is Aquabright Eco finish.
Tady
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Pool is 5m x 5m, is an in-ground outdoor pool, natural polished cement, has a sand filter, no skimmer

Re: How to determine what type of pool I have

Postby Tady » Tue 04 Dec, 2018 19:46

Hi Teapot,

Many thanks for the reply. After my first post I was able to make contact with the previous owners brother-in-law (long story). Apparently the pool has 'a natural polished cement finish, which is sealed inside and out and double lined' - so not 'natural stone' as I was originally informed.
Two things. First in answer to your question - the pool is not a zero edge or lap edge pool. The absence of a skimmer is a pain and means I have to spend a lot of time with a net, and also that when it's being used a lot I battle to get rid of the oily residue on the surface (which I think a skimmer would help get rid of).
I imagine its possible to add a skimmer at some point - although I haven't looked into how complicated that would be yet, and whether I'd need a new filter and pump to accommodate a skimmer??? You have any ideas?

Secondly - the reason for my original post - the pool is looking a little drab, and algae seems to be finding lots of 'rough surface' to build up on. As a result I was considering painting the surface (but I now know NOT to do that). My other options are to pressure wash and clean the plaster, or I suppose to re-plaster, or re-surface, the pool. Will pressure washing make a big difference do you think, or can it damage the surface and not really solve the problem?

Also do you know what 'sealed inside and out and double lined' means??

Many thanks in advance for any advice you may have.
Thanks
Tady

Return to “Pool Surface Discussions”