Question about draining/painting pool in ground hybrid pool

Tile, mosaic, marbelite, Marcite, Marblesheen,
fiberglass, plaster, shotcrete, paint, epoxy coatings.
Use, care and repair of the various surfaces.
CincyPhan
I'm new here
I'm new here

Question about draining/painting pool in ground hybrid pool

Postby CincyPhan » Mon 22 Apr, 2019 22:11

Hey there - I'm new here and am excited to learn and engage.

I purchased a house in Ohio last June and have a kidney bean shaped pool that has a concrete floor/base with a fiberglass wall liner. It's about 28 years old and is in need of some cosmetic TLC, but generally (knock on wood) in good shape! My brother in law is a professional painter and has painted many pools before, but has never been a completed the entire processes, but after some research both feel we can do it.

I began draining the pool (about 1/2 way) today to prep it for painting on Saturday (pressure wash, acid wash, etc). It's then when I began reading some horror stories about pool walls collapsing, pulling out of the ground etc. It's every intent of our ours to paint as quickly as possible and have a pressure equalizer valve on the bottom, but with Epoxy it needs at least 4-5 days to dry.

What I was confident in getting this done this weekend I now have anxiety that it might be best to spend the money to have a professional do it - but it doesn't seem too difficult should it all go alright.

Any thoughts or advice? Am I crazy?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Question about draining/painting pool in ground hybrid pool

Postby Teapot » Tue 23 Apr, 2019 00:46

Painting a pool is crazy as it doesn't last! However in your case probably the only option unless you went for aquabright or polyurea.
If the ground is dry it shouldn't pop out of the ground, certainly not in a week.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Question about draining/painting pool in ground hybrid pool

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 23 Apr, 2019 02:48

A good idea is to find out where your water table is

Return to “Pool Surface Discussions”