When was asbestos discontinued in plaster pool finish?

Tile, mosaic, marbelite, Marcite, Marblesheen,
fiberglass, plaster, shotcrete, paint, epoxy coatings.
Use, care and repair of the various surfaces.
chestersark
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 5x5 foot in-ground hot tub and 15x30 foot in-ground swimming pool, both outdoor. These pools are on the premises of my apartment complex where I rent.

When was asbestos discontinued in plaster pool finish?

Postby chestersark » Mon 24 Apr, 2023 03:23

I would like to know when asbestos was discontinued in plaster pool finish, please. The pool and hot tub are both in-ground and outdoor, and were built in 2004. They are on the grounds of my apartment complex (I rent). I would like to know because the plaster in several areas is damaged. My kids love the tub and the pool, and I don't want to spoil their fun if there's no asbestos. I know that asbestos is not dangerous when it's wet, but if it's in the water then I'd be concerned about it being brought into the apartment when everyone dries off and comes back inside.

I can't get it tested myself because I rent and there's no way for me to collect a sample or anything like that. I just need to know if a pool or hot tub built in 2004 in the United States (Pacific NW) would have asbestos in the plaster or not.

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: When was asbestos discontinued in plaster pool finish?

Postby Teapot1 » Mon 24 Apr, 2023 03:48

Could you not ask your local building/health inspectiors? I feel the same with DE filtration, way too much free silicon.
Hope you find an answer
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Pool Surface Discussions”