brown stains on bottom

Tile, mosaic, marbelite, Marcite, Marblesheen,
fiberglass, plaster, shotcrete, paint, epoxy coatings.
Use, care and repair of the various surfaces.
mrwlml
I'm new here
I'm new here

brown stains on bottom

Postby mrwlml » Wed 14 Nov, 2007 19:51

I just had my marcite pool refinished with Stonescapes pebble finish(color is Carribean Blue). I also have a chlorine ( salt) generator system.

After only five months, I now have two dark brownish stains about the size of my hand and a few others that are about the size of a quarter.
Upon contacting the company who did my pool makeover, they said it was either due to berries from my palm tress, or fertilizer. They also said that there was no way to remove the stains.
I'm sure it's not due to berries from the palms as they have not gotten in there. I'm sceptical about the fertilizer being the source, but I can't rule it out.
I've already read some posts that seem to address the same problem if the pool company is right about it being fertilizer, but I wanted to see if I could get some clear advise about my specific situation.
Thanks in advance for any help as my contractor has already been (well) paid in full and doesn't seem to have any interest in helping me.

Postby Guest » Thu 15 Nov, 2007 06:26

Your problem is most likely caused by water chemistry or some other form of staining due to the fact that your plaster was fine for the first 5 months. You should be talking to a pool service company, not the guy that plastered the pool. Plaster just doesn't "go bad" without some type of influence.
mrwlml
I'm new here
I'm new here

mrwlml

Postby mrwlml » Thu 15 Nov, 2007 09:08

Thanks, but the company who did the refinish is a full service company that has been in business for about twenty years. They do everything on a regular basis. I had the marcite refinished with the pebble StoneScape, steps added, pavers installed, and other improvements. The same company contracted all of the work including adding the salt and balancing the intial water fill of the pool. Again, this company ( not "a guy") also does everyday pool maintance throughout the county, and that's one reason why I'm very disapointed in their response to my problem
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Thu 15 Nov, 2007 10:45

brown stains normally come from iron in water.
you can get a white sock add 1/2 pound PH reducer & place on a stain for 10-15mins. If it starts comming off or comes off it's iron.

You can have your water tested for free a pool store so they can tell you metal levels in your water.

using a sequestering agent which basically removes metals as prevenative will help this for future. 1-bottle every 90-days
mrwlml
I'm new here
I'm new here

mrwlml

Postby mrwlml » Sat 17 Nov, 2007 00:32

Thank you !

I'll give those suggestions a try. The two larger stains are streaked in the same direstion, and thankfully they haven't worsened. Perhaps I can prove the local expert pool company wrong in their assertion that "there is no way to remove the stains".
AUSPoolman

Re: mrwlml

Postby AUSPoolman » Sun 27 Jan, 2008 21:21

mrwlml wrote:Thank you !

I'll give those suggestions a try. The two larger stains are streaked in the same direstion, and thankfully they haven't worsened. Perhaps I can prove the local expert pool company wrong in their assertion that "there is no way to remove the stains".

It sounds like magnesium stains. If salt was dumped in without being moved around to dissolve rapidly, oxidisation (or is that sulpherisation?) :? from high chlorine levels can occur. That's why I dissolve it through the skimmer.

Interested to know if the dry acid in sock worked for you? If not try 20g of Abscorbic acid in sock. It should dissapear before your eyes. 8)
kelly from az

calcuim build up

Postby kelly from az » Fri 18 Apr, 2008 22:53

You have Calcium build up from hard water or solids. This is exactly what my pool builder said happens to pebble finishes it gets between the cracks. He said he did 20 chip outs and refinish pebbletec pools in 2007 from your exact problem. No way to acid wash that out he said this is why your pool company is trying to blow you off. Contact the Registers of contractors in your area and open a case he will be out there in no time. They have to give you 2 year warranty on labor. If they can't prove why it happened they will be at fault.

Return to “Pool Surface Discussions”