Gunite Pool Popped, Now what?

Tile, mosaic, marbelite, Marcite, Marblesheen,
fiberglass, plaster, shotcrete, paint, epoxy coatings.
Use, care and repair of the various surfaces.
big red

Postby big red » Thu 15 May, 2008 14:03

I have a gunite swimming pool that i took the water out of to acid wash. It rained the next day and the pool popped out of the ground. Does anyone know what the basics are to putting it in back in the ground? I have already been given a quote for 25,000 to fix this but i think the price is not only excessive, but I also think the rep was adding alot of extras in there for his commission. the pool is about a foot out of the ground :x

barrydurstine

Postby barrydurstine » Tue 03 Mar, 2009 16:46

Hey Buddy Have you goten anywhere with your pool yet Had it hapen to me about 5 months ago...unfotunitly 25 grand is about right...I got an idea of what to do and Im guna try it my self if you wanto give me a call and maby we can help eatch other out

thanks
Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Me... » Wed 04 Mar, 2009 00:09

All your lines probably got broken when the pool floated. They might have to dig completely under the pool and make sure it is all repaired and compacted properly. The new level is what you get, the deck will need to be redone to that height. It is extremely doubtful it is even remotely possible to get the pool back down. Sounds like the pool was well built if it didn't crack in half though. They are just like a big boat when the water pressure underneath them overcomes the weight of the pool. This happens from time to time and is just another reason to at least check with a pool guy before you do something drastic. Your pool sounds like it lacked a hydrostatic relief valve or else it was plugged solid.

Postby Guest » Fri 06 Mar, 2009 04:50

Thanks for the great forums here.

How can you check the hydrostatic relief valve before emptying the pool (or as it empties)?

I need to empty my pool and acid wash it next month
Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Me... » Fri 06 Mar, 2009 11:03

The hydrostatic relief valve is just a simple one way check valve.

I really hate to tell anyone to dive down and remove a main drain cover, so if you do, make absolutely sure your pump(s) is shut off and locked out if possible. You DO NOT want to get entrapped on any piping down there. At any rate, you may need a diver

First you might want to dye test it to see if it leaks and then you would want to make sure you can lift the top plate to ensure it can actually move. This link, page 3, shows a common HRV from Hayward.

http://www.haywardnet.com/pdfs/Suction_ ... ochure.pdf

You could dye test it open to see if you pool actually drains out through it. Let it close and dye test it again to make sure it reseals.

If/when the oring in there deteriorates it can become a place your pool will constantly lose water.

Again, you will probably need a diver, one that knows pools, and make sure the pump(s) is off.
kmcdonell
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: gunite with epoxy coating, kidney shape appx 18x36

Postby kmcdonell » Fri 17 Apr, 2009 21:47

So, BigRed, how did you resolve your problem? My gunite pool just lifted about a foot on the deep end. Now what? :shock:
Pooltech32
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Pooltech32 » Fri 17 Apr, 2009 22:44

be prepared to pay a TON of money, you can't repair it, you can just redo everything around the pool.
HUGE MISTAKE!!
Pool repair guy

Return to “Pool Surface Discussions”