Light gray plaster

Tile, mosaic, marbelite, Marcite, Marblesheen,
fiberglass, plaster, shotcrete, paint, epoxy coatings.
Use, care and repair of the various surfaces.
lam

Light gray plaster

Postby lam » Sat 17 May, 2008 00:10

Does anyone have light gray plaster that wouldn't mind offering comments on the water's appearance? I am shooting for a very light blue look. I considered white as well but it seems sometimes this can give the water a light green look... :?

plaster

Postby Guest » Sat 17 May, 2008 00:45

i care for a pool that has a light gray gunite/marcite finish, and with the rock wall and waterfall combined with that finish gives the pooll a sort of cave like apperance, crystal clear, but no blue hue whatsoever. By the way, gunite/ plaster pools are considerably higher in price and maintainence/ refinishing costs, in addition to being rough on the skin and swimsuits.. vinyl liner is a much better choice
lam

Are you saying

Postby lam » Sat 17 May, 2008 14:57

Thank you Pool User. What color is the water then? When you say "cave" I am assuming everything appears too dark?
muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

light grey plaster

Postby muss08 » Sat 17 May, 2008 17:07

With light grey plaster pools the bottom appears almost black. Most "black" plaster pools are actually a gray but look black when wet. as "pool user" stated you will have no blue color at all with a grey or black plaster pool. White plaster pools dont have a greenish look unless you have algae or copper in your water. not to start an argument- i prefer plaster pools to vinyl. more expensive, yes, but hold up better over time and if properly maintained feel just as smooth as vinyl. both have their pros and cons.
APSP Certified Service Pro
Jandy Tech School
Pentair Tech Training
Raypak Heater School
5 yrs experience
unhappy

Light gray plaster

Postby unhappy » Tue 17 Mar, 2009 16:30

lam wrote:Does anyone have light gray plaster that wouldn't mind offering comments on the water's appearance? I am shooting for a very light blue look. I considered white as well but it seems sometimes this can give the water a light green look... :?

If you are looking for a light blue look, grey plaster is definitely NOT the way to go. We just spent a lot of money on a custom home that now has a pool that looks like it has pond water in it. The water, which is directly next to crisp white and blue tiles with white grout has a light green appearance.
A definite disappointment!!! because, I too, was hoping for a soft blue appearance.

Light gray plaster

Postby Guest » Mon 02 May, 2011 19:38

These people are wrong. You can simply google gray plaster pool pictures to find plenty of gray plaster pools and the beautiful blue water they create.
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Light gray plaster

Postby czechmate » Mon 02 May, 2011 20:53

Pool User wrote: You can simply google gray plaster pool pictures to find plenty of gray plaster pools and the beautiful blue water they create.

I agree with that completely. One example would be of French Gray version of DiamondBrite.
Be aware of one thing, though. Application of any shade of gray is fairly difficult for any experienced crew. You should be prepared for some darker and lighter patches. It comes from several reasons, like poor mixing, different batch bags, overworked/ burnt spots, spike marks, etc.
It is usually the owner that sees it most, since we see it daily in calm water, when pump is not running. When you have visitors in the water and pump is running it is not visible.
On the other hand, if you expect perfect plaster for your money, you may want to go to a light color DiamondBrite in blue.
Note: the spike marks from finishers is hard to conceal on anything but pure white. It blends in little better on blue DiamondBrite because of it's multicolor blend.(Still takes a while to accept it).
But on sigle shade of gray it stands out more.
If you get a bad crew, you will not be a happy camper for a long time.
Good luck hunting!!
Bluedevils
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 27,000 gallon plaster pool with DE filter and new MasterTemp 250,000 btu heater.

Light gray plaster

Postby Bluedevils » Thu 05 May, 2011 14:58

I, too, am considering a blue/grey plaster - my guy says he can mix the two colors of Sunstone Select - granite + sapphire - to make a beautiful color. Should I also be worried about nail marks, etc?

Also, what color/shade of tile would you recommend with this plaster color + large rock waterfall? I can't decide whether I need to keep the tile darker, like the water, or go lighter for contrast? BTW, we are also redecking and can select any color there.... I've considered greys, taupes, and blues? Which is best?

would appreciate any thoughts on tile colors!
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Light gray plaster

Postby czechmate » Thu 05 May, 2011 22:11

Bluedevils wrote: Should I also be worried about nail marks, etc?

Also, what color/shade of tile would you recommend with this plaster color + large rock waterfall? I can't decide whether I need to keep the tile darker, like the water, or go lighter for contrast? BTW, we are also redecking and can select any color there.... I've considered greys, taupes, and blues? Which is best?

would appreciate any thoughts on tile colors!

The spike marks are result of pushing the colored plaster apart than filling with the top diluted plaster which does not have as much dye or quartz in the mix. It is not visible during the finishing time, due to the sun reflection and being wet.
I look at it this way: We all admire color of ocean water in Hawaii without being critical of messy bottom full of ugly black lava. So some imperfections should not be so alarming. Specially, that you do not see them when there is not dead calm surface.
I was merely pointing out not to expect perfect homogenous hue, trough out the pool bottom. (That is not to say that you should not strive to get really good crew).
As far as tile goes, you may find non-gloss surface solid 6x6 tile in a aqua green/blue or blue/green with a slate like surface pretty rewarding. ( Glossy tile from little mosaic looks fancy in the supply store and even in the new pool. It is a different story 5-6 years later when the minerals start creating maps of deposits).
Minimizing amount of grout, that will age and discolor by selecting gray or colored, matching the hue of the tile will save you meticulous cleaning if the algae ever gets in it.
kiwipool

Light gray plaster

Postby kiwipool » Sun 25 Sep, 2011 00:13

Looking for a non fading Pool Finish here is the Answer

So you want a nice Gray Pool Finish well look at now Oxides that go blotchy over time 100% Quartz with about 50% of the Quartz coated with a ceramic coating, gives a stunning granite effect,
More info email kiwipool . nz Norman
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Light gray plaster

Postby czechmate » Mon 26 Sep, 2011 17:37

Kiwi, Houston is not in new Zealand.
Here in the US we do not have same stuff on the shelf as you do.
Therefore references to product trademarks from "down under" are useless to us.

Light gray plaster

Postby Guest » Wed 12 Oct, 2011 23:06

Light Gray Plaster go to my website
johnny661

med gray plaster

Postby johnny661 » Sat 14 Apr, 2012 13:42

Dont do it. I got my pool done and it looks like S***... The pool co who did called in his expert and said with time, it will get better. Well it looks worse. They recommended an underwater acid wash @ my expense to even things out. I am in the process of filing a complaint against them for poor workmanship. I was told there will be molting, but its more then that. It is terrible. So for those thinking of doing a med gray plaster, be prepared, do your homework, and look at other pools (not in the sunlight) and you will surely change your mind.
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Light gray plaster

Postby czechmate » Sun 15 Apr, 2012 09:28

Pool construction requires due diligence in research and than consistence of its application.
Anything less is asking for a potential huge disapointment.
People are willing to research more when buying used truck, than when replastering their pool.
That truck you can sell at loss, or leave it somewhere on the side of the road.
You always have the pool in the front of your eyes until you spend more money!
Sometimes being bit more conservative pays off big time.
That is often the case with dark gray, pebble etc.

Return to “Pool Surface Discussions”